Lake Erie Pt clinton Walleye jig bite is on

Mark Komo

Took the boy to Pt clinton on Friday to fish with my buddy Steve B (hetfield charters). We were jigging in 12 to 14, got our limits. On the water at 830 off by 130. All good eaters, 2-4 lbers. Purple hair jigs. Jiggin was fun, havent done it in awhile. Boy had a fantastic time.

Made me wonder if a spring jig bite off the reefs happens out here in NY.

I have done well with jigs for walleye off the reefs and humps out infront of Buffalo,Seneca Shoal & Meyers Reef in Lake Erie and the Upper Niagara River from Jafco Marina to Ontario street launch,especialy when the spawn has not happened yet.But this year the water temp may be so warm at the opener the spawn will be done and the eyes may already move out to 50 ft of water or deeper,setting up the trolling bite.

Very helpful info, headed to Kellys Island May 11th for a week. This will be our third year out there and I must admit that I had never walleye fished before but I have learned a lot in the last two years. We usually go the first part of June but moved the trip up a bit sooner. Thanks for the info and any other bits of info will be helpful. I will post the results of my trip when I get back.

The early walleye bite after the spawn is successful using slow speeds, 1.2 to 1.6 MPH and topwater lures on inline side planers. Reef Runner and Husky Jerk Rapala's are the most popular lures down in Ohio at this time. This should be a good system for our walleye opener.

Several years we opened the season for walleyes on Chautauqua Lake at midnight. Trolling floating Rapalas on long lines gave us limits early and also a few Muskys to liven things up.

I'm leaving friday for Port Clinton, we will be staying on South Bass Island (put in bay) I'll post a few reports here and on walleye.com on the eastern basin page for the guys on that page. Last year sucked bad we got 14 walleyes between 10 guys, we usually average 240-250 walleyes for the week. I'll be pulling 800 series Reef Runners and Snapper (2oz) Torpedo Divers with harnesses.

I will be looking for your post and hope it is helpful. We plan on hitting kellys shoal, gull island shoal [d-can ] and I have done very good on the east and south side of kellys. Going to use the go to baits, worm harness, rr, husky jerks and I always throw a few ms spoons at them chicken wing color is my best.

Do not forget to take Reef Runner 48 Blueberry Mufin color with you!

http://www.xtackle.com/reefrunner48.aspx

Thanks Larry I have a few of them, I have way too much invested in 800 series Reefies....lol Actually my favorite color is Gator Bait made for Erie Outfitters we even caught some Walleyes on Meyers Reef on that color.

• 2 weeks later...

Well were back from our annuall Port Clinton Walleye trip we ended up with 195 walleyes, not the worst year by far and not the best year. We trolled all week near Middle Bass Island we caught fish on Reef Runners,harnesses behind Torpedo Divers, and harnesses on 5 color lead core. We had good weather we were able to fish every day, and the big bonus was we had clean water all week also. The biggest was 11.2lbs and our smallest was 18". A great time was had by all!!!! :rofl:

I will be back out on Lake Erie again tonight off the windmills,I will give a report here tomarrow. I may also try Donley's wall and the fish market as well.I will bring a couple jigging rods,just in case the trolling bite is still slow. 53 degree water the trolling bite should be on.

Water is certainly warm enough to troll. I think I would start off with hooks, then maybe move to meat as the day gets brighter and warmer. With the temp, I bet they will be setting up pretty close to their summer pattern.

Mark, The plan is to go out after dark tonight and troll 6 to 10 ft humps,reefs & bars from Meyers to Hoaks,to Smokes Creek and over by Donleys wall.If I have another poor night I will switch over to day program with worm harnesses in 20 to 25 ft of water off of Meyers Reef.

Might even pull out the old Hot-N-Tots in purple & silver and blue & silver for daytime try.