What the heck is this? Caught in middle of Lake Ontario

Definetly a possum the wet hair gives it a darker looking color fishers have shorter faces and rounder ears with a lot of fur/hair on them. (I trap) Looks fake to me though.

Yeah okay think you're right about the face structure, I'll give you the possum, never seen one with coloring like that though. Also never seen a wet one either so there you are. Or I am.

Ray how'd you know I live on a mountain?!? :D Oops an inside out mountain, I mean valley, but it's a high valley on a tall hill off the beaten path... arrggg it's late! :D

Still vote real but I'd like to know. Almost seems like you can see the last bit of hook in the skin.

I am starting to think it's a chupacabra-opossum-jackalope mix now though!!!! :o I hear they swim down to depths as deep as 150ft looking for lake trout in the middle of summer!!! You need silver bullets to kill those nasty little beasts. First goby's now these!! What's next loc ness???? :( Darn those invasive species!!

If its real it has to be some kind of rat that jumped ship, take a look at the fly compared to the head, fly is about 3 inches long puts head about 3 to 4 inches and whole body at about 12 inches, does look more like a fox than any thing else thou except for the fact that the nose is flesh in color, fox have black noses, got to be a rat

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

It's an opossum. Narrow snout, often they can be brown and I shot one in my driveway last year (we thought it was rabid but turned out to be hit by a car) and I remember the tips of the ears had the pink tips like in the picture.

I can't believe that thing was so far out in the lake.

We used to catch these creatures south of Guadalajara in Lake Chapala after a couple bungs of Tijuana Gold. The Padre at Santa Maria, frantically blessing himself, us, the creature and everything else in sight, positively identified it as either El Chupacabra or a Sasquatch fetus. Whatever. It was delicious.

• 2 months later...

Hermit asked, "How about it Captain's Cove? Real or fake?"

I honestly don't know. As I said in my original post, it was sent to me by a nice couple who stays in our motel every year and fishes the Lake for a few days while they're here. They don't seem like the type to make it up but again, I honestly don't know. Next season (2013) I will ask them.