IBay 7/21/12 Sodus ProAm Open Experience (Open results incl)

Fishing Report

Chris / Liv n' Ellie:

==============

TRIP OVERVIEW

==============

Date(s): 7/21/12

Time on Water: 5AM til 10:30 AM

Weather/Temp: sunny, 70's

Wind Speed/Direction: light

Waves: calm

Surface Temp: 68-73

LAT/LONG (GPS Cords):

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

Total Hits: 10

Total Boated: 7

Species Breakdown: lakers, kings

Hot Lure: see below

Trolling Speed: 2.8-3.2 sog

Down Speed: consistent 2.5 on the Subtroll

Boat Depth: 100 fow to 488 fow

Lure Depth: see below

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

We fished our second Sodus Pro-Am "Open" event and we wound up with a third place finish - and I have to thank my good buddy Anthony and my brother Kevin for saving our day with their catches. Our "Team Kings of I-Bay" had a blast on the water today and although we had to search for fish but when we found them we found a few majors.

We started off with a seven rod spread including 10 color lead core (NK Seasick Waddler), two wires (meat 200', white/green dot SD/ATomMik Hammer 250'), 400' copper (Gator SD/ATomMik mirage fly), 600' copper (42 sec SD/green glow fly) and two riggers (85' NK 42 sec spoon, midnight special slider, 65' meat).

We had two unbelievable hits - the first on the 250' wire and it was a major fish. We lost it after it ripped 400+ feet of wire out and it broke the treble off the fly. We were able to catch a glimpse and it was a beauty. The second ripped the 10 color core pulling the SSW spoon and it ripped 900' of line and when we started getting nervous about getting spooled, I decided to change boat speed. I fought the fish for 30 minutes until it broke off literally 5 feet from the back of the boat. My decision to milk the fish for 30 minutes and allow him too much play with putting the boat in neutral cost us dearly. He was the heaviest fish I have ever battled on leadcore and I estimate 30 pounds at least.

We then lost another major off the copper after a shake off and by this time I was really struggling to maintain composure. Two break offs and my decision to change boat speed was all on me.

Things changed after we boated a nice 15#10 ounce laker (85' rigger free slider mignight special). After that, we managed a few other lakers, but we could only keep one so back they went.

We had a lull for an hour but then Anthony landed a nice king - around 17 pds. and we felt a little better about things. The fish hit mono 85' rigger again pulling the mignight special free slider.

We decided to move out to 200 fow plus and finally Kevin landed our third keeper - only a small 5 pound king (250' wire white/green dot SD/Hammer fly) but it was 10 points that we needed. After that in 350' Anthony saved the day when he landed a beautiful king on the 400' copper (22.9 pounds). It peeled at least 300' of backing but he was able to muscle the beast in and "save our box". We were able to cull the smaller fish, and we felt much better about our chances with the bigger fish at the end.

It was a great day, I thank Anthony and Kevin for their great composure and great sportsmanship when I took the "three lost fish" quite hard. A third place finish for three amatuers felt great and we will be back next year. I congratulate all the teams on their finishes today and good luck to all on the water,

- Chris

003.jpg

007.jpg

Captain Chris has done it again!

We did not only just find fish but we landed them on your deadly spread.

I like it when we view fishing like a baseball game wherein each inning presents you with a different challenge. We were able to recover quickly as we focus on the upcoming pitch. Each hits has turned into runs. Best part was the nice king at the end.

It was like the 9th inning when the homer has saved the day.

My arms are like rubber. I need to sign up for gym membership to help my arms fight the kings.

Thanks Chris for the terrific fishing experience.

Best of luck to participants in the pro am and open.

Safe Fishing everyone.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png