downrigger ball blowback question

Is there a chart or general formula to estimate the depth of the downrigger ball while trolling? I understand the faster you troll the greater the blowback and the most acurate way is to put a probe on the downrigger ball. Without spending hundreds of dollars for something I do only several times a year, is there a general estimate for how much blowback you get while trolling.

Is there a chart or general formula to estimate the depth of the downrigger ball while trolling? I understand the faster you troll the greater the blowback and the most acurate way is to put a probe on the downrigger ball. Without spending hundreds of dollars for something I do only several times a year, is there a general estimate for how much blowback you get while trolling.

It is actually simple trig. If you know the angle and the cable length you can trig out the actual depth of the ball. I believe that was your question.

In the case of the rigger line that would be your hypot. The length you want to know is the adjacent leg of the triangle. So since the Cosine of the angle is = the adjacent over the hyp. The adjacent leg (the distance you want to know) is = to the cosine of the angle times the length of cable you have out. You can pick up a little reference guide with sine, cosine and tangent numbers for various degrees. take the number mutiply by the cable out will give you actual depth.

Spike

I just turn up sensitivity on the sonar and mark them on screen. Less than 5 feet blowback with 12# torpedoes down to 110'

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

With that technique, you are seeing the distance from the transducer to the weight, not the depth of the weight. A 12# torpedo will often have a larger blowback than 5 ft. when down 110 ft.

The trig would work great if the angle of the cable off the downrigger were consistent all the way to the ball and easily determined. What ends up happening is the cable arcs as it descends, and this effect is exacerbated at increased speeds (or with thicker cable, like for the Moor probe). It's tough to accurately measure the true angle, as well, especially in waves.

What you do is keep going shallower until you hook the ball on the bottom...note the depth where you break off, and Bob's your uncle. :D

• 2 weeks later...