Stand and Deliver...Sandy Creek Shoot out 7/28 & 7/29

Well what can I say what an awesome weekend! Myself, my son Dustin and his friend Franz were fortunate enough to be invited to fish the Sandy Creek Shoot Out with Mark aka "Skipper19" and Lois "The Queen of Kings" ;) To add to this great weekend Mark brought his camper to Hamlin Beach State Park to make the weekend even funner. Saturday we were all up at 3:45 am for coffee and a quick bite before we headed over to the launch...mind you there was absolutely no wind at Hamlin Beach park. As we headed up the narrow channel toward the lake we could see the boats ahead of us rockin and rollin. :( But we stuck to our plan and headed toward Devils nose...Set the lines out in approx. 100 fow heading with the waves and couldn't really run the spread that Mark wanted to because of how rough it was so we kept things a little simpler to avoid chaos with the long lines. Fishing was pretty steady...some teenage kings and steelheads in the mix wich kept Lois and the boys busy. I did most the driving because I love to watch the kids reel the fish in and you too Lois :lol: And the way I see it if your the captain of the boat you probably do most of the driving most of the time and I was happy to give Mark a break and work his magic in the back of the boat and teach the kiddos a thing or to about big lake fishing. Well anyway when it was all done and said we ended up and I was going to say 24th place but I will bow to the man the myth RayK and say we were one place below RayK :yes::lol: 23 Pegasus 4 50.95 90.95 23 Stand and Deliver 4 49.9 89.9

I don't know if the results were a typo or if we were just that close that they gave us both 23rd place but either way myself and the kids will remember the trip for ever. It was great to put some names to faces at the weigh in Kudos to all the folks that organized the tournament. And thanks again Mark for the memories!! Franz and Dustin are still smiling :) I did get one good GoPro video of Dustin reeling in a nice steelhead and as soon as I get a chance to upload it I will post, Love the Camera!!

Dustin reeling in a nice steelhead.

100_5440.jpg

Nice to meet you Tom, Seems everytime their is a derby everything goes by so fast ,its time to bail before ya know it,,strange i thought Skippy mentioned a tangle or two. Musta been someone else.... :lol: Casey and I had our hands full when landing fish another person on the wheel woulda eased the net job ,but at least it wasnt too bad out there. Other than a few hit and runs we landed everything we fought and NO tangles ..but we were only running 6 rods ...Next year well have to whip ya real bad so ya ant whining about a close score.. :)

WTG boys!! Especially in those conditions :yes: Great to see up and coming Lake O. anglers show how it's done. Great to see and chat with you guys :yes:

Shawn

Yup it was a great time for me as well. Mixing camping with fishing and meeting old friends and new. When I first got to the marina on friday nite, it was very late and I could not get in the gate at sandy creek marina. A trip down to nuts corners was next and there I found all the help I needed to get things organized. Thanks to Jerry (Runnin Rebel) for letting me use his barn and space to leave my truck and boat. He then chauffered Lois and I over to my campsite, where Tom and the boys are enjoying the comforts of camp.

Next morning we are off to the truck and boat waiting and ready to go. A short drive to the launch and we are in the water clearing the parkway bridge. Looking ahead is the less than two foot wave prediction tossing the boat ahead around. Well that was another grand prediction in the dump. Throttled up the big motor and gouged through the open water to the nose. The 225 did all the trolling for the day as the 9.9 would never be in control of the boat in those waves and wind. I wanted to run the 8 rod spread but it became obvious that mahem came aboard for all that...yes Ray I did get a couple tangles. I trimmed the spread to 6 rods. Three riggers two divers and a copper down the shoot. Luck was not exactly good at first when a nice hit came on a diver first and the the reel was screaming, OMG its a good one and then slack :wondering: reeling it in was even more disturbing as there was not as much drag as should be from the flasher.....because it was GONE! :doh:..the snap straightened on the swivel off the diver..:( ok bad start, and it was a good fish judging the hit and run. Many more fish would come to the boat on the inside waters but no size so Tom points us north into the slop. I mentioned that we could pick up and run to the deep and reset so he wouldn't have to beat hisself to death on the helm, sawing back and forth to keep a steady course. He said it was ok, and the big motor was doing ok to guide us along. We ended up out in 480 to 490 fow where we met a nice screen under the boat. Lots of bait and hooks nearby. Now we start to get some fish to keep in the box. It was late to finally get those fish and we started to box a few smaller fish to at least get 4 in the count. Luckily we didn't have to keep them for the weigh and got some minor upgrades along the way. Nothing huge. Four kings and the boys Dustin and Franz reeled them in. They did a fantastic job in the heavy seas out there, as there were a few good 5 and 6 foot waves thrown in. Some very steep I might add. The run back to port was exhilarating! :rock:..hammered down at 30mph quartering on the following sea and we git a free shower along the way in the open cockpit of the center console Aquasport Osprey. We stayed the whole day straight off Devils nose, and watched the black ominous sky towards Braddocks hang there for most of the day. The waterspout was barely visible from our position but we could see it after the announcement came on the radio.

Back at camp, all of us sore and tired from the washing machine effect, more friends came to join in the campfire setting and listen to our stories and enjoy the night relaxing, eating hotdogs, having refreshments, and occasional dozing off in the zero gravity chair :sleepy:

The two 13 year olds did a great job in terrible conditions for them, and placed themselves in the middle of the field of competition. Very respectable for them and they had fun doing it. A special time for me as well, and I can't wait to do it again.

Ok Ray, I'll bet to beat your shorts off next year....:wait: ..what was I thinkin :thinking: ....he has no tan lines.... :omg: NO SHORTS...:lol:

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png