Otter boats releases

Bought Otter boats for sping browns, want to know what releases to buy and how to use them. If you have your spread out say 3 or 4 lines pre side and you catch one on outside line, how do you redeploy it. Do you leghthen the lines you have out and send another release out, making the redeployed one the inside line or do you bring the boat in and redeploy everything. My plan is to run three sticks on boards and two spoons on riggers. 

Edited by Hooked on Kings

You got it right! Just slide the lines down by letting line out. I been using the mini Scotty releases. But I just bought some clippers to try. The look like they slide better and are much cheaper. Sometimes the shower curtain ring on the Scotty's get tangled up and won't move all the way down to the otter boat after a release. So I occasionally have to pull the otter boat in to untangle.

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE

I use OR 10 and 14 releases. I see they keep going up in price though. I love them, but not sure I would pay five bucks each for them.

Unless I have my outside otter boat line set in some special way (like really short/shallow for getting way up near shore) then I will just slide out the inside lines and reset the fired rod on the inside. Gets to be a pain to rotate a reset back out to the outside... but sometimes the situation requires it.

A dozen will allow you to put six lines out and not have to pull in an otter boat to retrieve used clips until youve had six hits. Unless the fish are hitting fast and furious a dozen would be fine. I have a couple dozen... but its very rare that I have used that many before having an empty planer line that I quickly haul in to grab the used releases.

Sounds like I will start with a dozen and go from there, looking at some prices, cost will be somewhere around 90$ to 100$ for that many........ going to have to get part time job to pay for this obsession or maybe just won't tell the wife, what she doesn't know won't tic here off... lol...... thanks for the info. 

Get the Clipper releases from Amish Outfitters.

http://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=18

They work great, are cheap and you can put a ton in your pocket for re-deploys. A bag of 50 is only $60. Do a search on the LOU alot of guys are running the Clippers. If you run mono just clip the release right to the line. I use braid so I half hitch a #10 (think thats the size) rubber band to the line and then the band to the clipper. Best part is spring browns can be fast and furious at times and I never have to pull my big  boards in just slide down another clipper release. An empty clipper won't spin around and tangle your lines requiring you to pull the boards on that side to retrieve / untangle.

Edited by Poles293

Use the clippers mentioned above! You can adjust them enough to use for anything. Even your coppers if you have some. One release will do it all. Not saying there isn't better out there, but to get you rolling they will work.

For the sake of repeatability and consistency. If your outside rod with a firetiger thunderstick back 150 fires, wouldn't you want to replace it in the same position? For you guys that say just slide the inside ones farther out, are you running all the same length leads? I have been staggering them from longer on the outside to shorter on the inside, so if a fish hits the outside rod it "should" swing back into the chute and you can fight him up the middle without having to clear anything. Thoughts?

For the sake of repeatability and consistency. If your outside rod with a firetiger thunderstick back 150 fires, wouldn't you want to replace it in the same position? For you guys that say just slide the inside ones farther out, are you running all the same length leads? I have been staggering them from longer on the outside to shorter on the inside, so if a fish hits the outside rod it "should" swing back into the chute and you can fight him up the middle without having to clear anything. Thoughts?

Don't make it harder than it needs to be. Start off with 150/140/130 and just keep shortening them by 10' each time you get a release. When you get to 60 or 70' clear the side and start again. I buy sticks in 3's. If a stick gets hot you load up a side. So, in your scenario if that stick is hot load it up and then you'll have one at each position (inside/middle/outside)

Listen to Gambler about the PP too.

Don't make it harder than it needs to be. Start off with 150/140/130 and just keep shortening them by 10' each time you get a release. When you get to 60 or 70' clear the side and start again. I buy sticks in 3's. If a stick gets hot you load up a side. So, in your scenario if that stick is hot load it up and then you'll have one at each position (inside/middle/outside)

Listen to Gambler about the PP too.

You only buy stickbaits in 3's?  I find this hard to believe!