Scotty versus cannon versus Big Jon

I have been a Big Jon downrigger user for years, ran them hard and never had any trouble. Very reliable. Now I am looking for four new riggers and would welcome your opinions on what you think are the best today and why. Candidates are Cannon Mag 10 Styx Ts, Big Jon Protournaments, or Scotty 2116s. please help me decide.

Stop by a tourney and check out all of the models mentioned above. You will get supporters of each brand on here for one reason or another. WHht matters is what YOU like. 

We run Cannons, and I can get you on a boat with the exact model you are looking at if you want to play with them. Tall Tails has the new Scotty's, and for Big Johns they haven't changed much other than a newer motor than our used to. Decide what looks better to you and roll with it. They all work great, and they all go up and down.

Thank you Richard, I ran the Cannons when I Chartered out of Sodus in the late 80s, then i ran Big Jon's for a lot of years. like you said, they are all good. What model Cannons do you run today, and do you use the cycle feature at all. tThanks again for your time.

We run the DT10s. Yes we do use it on occasion, but not enough to warrant buying a rigger that does it. You can do it manually if you want to save a few bucks. However, bottom tracking, short stop with braided lines, and a programming depths to send your lure to is great on them.

They all work well.  I run Cannons and love them.  They are 9 years old and still running awesome.  It is like Ford, Chevy, Dodge. If you want simple quality riggers, go with Scotty.  If you want quality riggers with many features, go with Cannon. 

I have purchased Cannons, Big Jon's, and Scotty's in the last 5 years.

I ran cannons from 1982 until 2010 when I purchased brand new top of the line DT's. I installed them early July and they did not work correctly. I called the manufacturer, their solution was for me to send them to them and they would have them back to me after Labor Day! I explained that I needed the equipment to operate 60 charters before then and they expressed that was I problem I would have to handle.

I did so by replacing them with Big Jon's but they could not hold up to my fishing demands, the company was very supportive.

While I don't like the looks of Scotty's, they are great riggers; fast, durable and efficient with very few problems, responsive customer service. I recommend them without reservation.

The above comments represent the experience I have had, agree with above posts. What you are buying is the backing of the company.....15 years ago that was a no brainier and IMO it is as well today, but not the same company.

Sorry you had those troubles, Carl. There was quite a bit of turnover at Cannon staff wise during that time, and some bugs were definitely worked out since then. The Scottys are definitely a fine product but I have found the Cannon auto stops and rodholders to be the best I've used. We are definitely talking about the 2 best brands around now. 

Also look at the bases, and wether the booms are fixed, retractable, tip-up features etc....and what suits your style of fishing on your boat.  For example, I have Cannons on my corners because I like the ease in which the bases swivel out.  I have a big Jon Brute as a center rigger because it handles the heavy 20 lb rigger-balls I fish with and the boom tips up to help get out of the way during netting.  As suggested by others, get on some boats and see how they use these tools to fish effectively....and take time to ponder how you see you running your spreads.  I don't think you can go wrong with any of the rigger brands mentioned so it may come down to the accesories.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the 10xts's installed on my 1800 sport angler. I really like the auto stop feature. I did have a problem with the cable jumping off the front roller. I called cannon and their tech rep was excellent. He sent me two new roller assemblies without question. Like others are saying, it's all about your personal preference. Now the question manual vs electric. My vote is electric if it fits your budget.

Good luck and boat safe

Egoody

People can be real funny, even though it will not ever effect them, they will take great offense if you like a brand they don't. Try a few brands if you can, because what is of great value to you will not be of value to someone elce.. I like Scotty's but having said that anything that doesn't work is junk, and eventually they all will have problems. The freedom of choice makes us AMERICANS, only communist want everyone to be the same!

I would like a cable that will never break and have no blow back, gather no fleas, never kink, tie easy, not fray, and attract fish.

Edited by PKomrowski