Okuma Convector 30 series

I noticed tonight that Walmart online is carrying an Okuma Convector 30 for $55 and an 8'6" Classic Pro GLT for $30 with free shipping to your local store.  That's a GREAT price if you're looking to add a few sets for wire or downrigger use...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Okuma-Classic-Pro-GLT-8-6-Trolling-Rod/19336173

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Okuma-Convector-Linecounter-30-Reel/9721461

Edited by Mortigan

Please Keep in mind they advertise 2 weeks for them to arrive at your local store. Encourage all to do business with the small business owner. Big Box stores are squeezing the life out of the small business owner. 

Seen above post on My facebook page and will be posting it to FB as well. Encourage all who agree to share tweet and pin this.

Brett Walker

Bretts Place On The Bay

Please Keep in mind they advertise 2 weeks for them to arrive at your local store. Encourage all to do business with the small business owner. Big Box stores are squeezing the life out of the small business owner. 

Seen above post on My facebook page and will be posting it to FB as well. Encourage all who agree to share tweet and pin this.

Brett Walker

Bretts Place On The Bay

amen. ill spend double at the small guys place to avoid walmart....

Brett Walker

Bretts Place On The Bay

I think you small places should flex your muscles and tell Okuma that unless they stop price cutting for your competitor you will stop carrying their products  

Okuma should police their msrp's, if their accounts, big or small, are important to them, and that would help curb this.

Too many whores out there, and NOT only in this industry.

Sounds Like Okuma is listening to there there dealers Here is an email Just received:

Wal-mart is getting out of those CV30D reels.

There have been no recent purchased from Okuma.

Fill in cost would be higher than they are selling it for.

Okuma should police their msrp's, if their accounts, big or small, are important to them, and that would help curb this.
Too many whores out there, and NOT only in this industry.

Raised some awareness on the above quote as well and changes are in place so I have been informed.

Sounds Like Okuma is listening to there there dealers Here is an email Just received:

Wal-mart is getting out of those CV30D reels.

There have been no recent purchased from Okuma.

Fill in cost would be higher than they are selling it for.

Raised some awareness on the above quote as well and changes are in place so I have been informed.

so basically walmart is selling them at a loss to clear them out rights

sold out now anyway

Edited by bandrus1

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking into the Okuma 8'6" Downrigging Rod with the Okuma Classic 300L reel. Can anyone give me any feedback on this combo for Great Lakes Fishing?

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like the combos that Cabelas sells for Dipsey Diver rods are 9' rods, medium action with the Okuma Convector reels for $114. I thought that a DD rod was like 6-7' and not 9'? What does everyone prefer for a DD rod length. I will only be running 2 DD rods in my setup

My diver rods are 9.5' and 10.5' Daiwa Heartland heavy action diver rods.  Divers put a lot of stress on a rod, I'm not sure med action rods have the guts, but to each his own. 

You want the extra length IMO, particularly with wire, to get them away from the boat to make sure your diver lines clear your rigger lines on turns.  Wire under tension, touching a mono rigger rod line, also under tension will likely result in a cut rigger rod line.

Tim

I run dipseys from wire and braid on 6 1/2 ft. roller tip rods successfully but the most I run is 9 rods....not 18 like some of the folks and I'm real careful on turns :)