Looking for any input on outriggers,I figure it a easy and economical way to get some lines in and out farther from my boat,been reading the reports and taking in all I can being my second year going to the lake and appreciate all the help. Thanks Giz

I'm not sure what type and size of boat you have (it makes a huge difference in how you set them up and what you need for holders and supports but if you are looking for something "economical" you may not end up using  outriggers (planer boards are much more economical price-wise). New  outriggers (good ones) will run you about $400-$500 or more just for the poles (e.g. Tacos) and again depending on how mounted ..holders can run up to $1700 (EACH) or more. If you have a smaller boat you may be able to get away with a less expensive (fiberglass or light weight aluminum) set but even there you will be looking at about $400 rigged and with the conventional fixed placement holders that go into existing internal holders in the gunnels and sometimes they won't fit either because of the angle or they are too short on the stem. The most crucial aspect is the mounting and holders and again depending on your specific boat requirements there are a lot of options -some much better than others. The main concern should be thinking in terms of being out on Lake O in 5 or 6 foot waves with the outriggers extended....think about the torque on the outriggers themselves and the holders and supports (and gunnels) not necessarily what they are like out in your yard when setting them up or on a calm day. That might help guide your decision making.

Edited by Sk8man

I'm not going to try to talk you out of outriggers but I probably only see 3 or 4 boats a year with them on Lake Ontario.  Just about everyone on Big-O runs planner boards of some kind now days. 

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks guys,I have a 18' tundra,I would not be out with 5-6 ft waves,as i was out last year with 4' rollers and that was plenty for me and my boat,but I know what you mean,I bought some 15' fiberglass outriggers with holders all rigged for $119 and planning on using them for just browns and walleye,I did not know how the planner boards worked or how many you can run,I will try these and then maybe be switching to boards, thanks for the help. Giz

I wasn't attempting to talk you out of outriggers either because I run them myself and although I had run planer boards for years there are advantages to the outriggers and I actually prefer them over the boards. For one thing the outriggers require a lot less messing around (if they are set up right) but the most important thing is that they keep MOST alert people away from you and not running over your lines especially in good sized waves where they sometimes fail to see the boards because they can see them for a long distance. On the downside, you don't have as much control on turns (wider) and you can't get in nearly as close to the shoreline when the fish are in shallow (e.g. browns in the Spring). Depending on the type of releases used it is sometimes easier to adjust your line length closer and further away with outriggers...I use Black outrigger releases and just let the line slide through them (i.e. without looping it as on a downrigger). They (outriggers) are also in many cases easier to make  "on the fly" adjustments in  tension for changing water conditions or running more aggressive equipment or lures while leaving your equipment running. With all that said the boards probably impart more erratic action to the lures and thus may get more action on slow days.

Edited by Sk8man

They are another tool that you can use from time to time, but you probably won't use them all the time. Sometimes, I will pull a diver off mine to try and spread the width of my pattern when the fish are shallower and aggressive. In rough water, when you can't run inline or big boards, divers run off outriggers will be your outermost lures. But to be honest, they would be one of the last things I would put on a new boat when rigging it. The Lee Jr bases and 18' aluminum poles are a real nice package though.

I made my first set of outriggers a long time ago. I used a pair of the heaviest 13' Lamiglas fiberglass surf rod blanks they made. One roller guide for the tip, and three guides wrapped along the blank. I strung them with some braided planer board line. For a base I used a heavy duty Lee flush mount rodholder turned straight out. I found that exhaust pipe perfectly fit inside the rod holder so I had the local muffler shop bend me a piece so that when slid into the rodholder it would point straight up. I cut the bottom of the pipe to fit the pin in the bottom of the rodholder (with the pipe straight up) and then painted the metal exhaust pipe. Then I fit the surf rod blank to the pipe. I ran those for over ten years and was very happy with them. Running in and out, they would point straight up, when fishing I just lifted the pipe a little in the rod holder and twisted them upside down to the fishing position which was about 20 degrees or so above the horizontal and pointing straight out to the side. I had the rod holders from a previous boat, so my cost was just a couple hundred or so for the two surf rod blanks on sale, the guides, and the exhaust pipe work. It wouldn't be too difficult to duplicate what I did if you understand how to replace a guide on a fishing rod.

The closest thing in their lineup today to what I used back then would be the SB 166 5F-2 13'8" 2 piece blank.

Edited by John E Powell

I have been using outriggers for for 20 plus years now. They are just one more tool in your fishing arsenal. Get used to using them in the correct situation and they will add a lot of enjoyment to your time on the water.  I have learned that I can use them for allmost anything, dipseys,  top lines, copper, great with lead core. They are really handy in high traffic areas, when I just don't have room to run my big boards. If your looking to buy and get started, the Dot Line Co. offers a entry level set of telescopic alumumin riggers and mounts that won't break the bank. Cabelas has them and I am sure that they can be purchased lots of places.  Good Luck 

I second what Dick said....can use them for everything. The Dot Lines are fine but the outrigger pole holders that come with them  have very shallow (short) stems and for deeper gunwales with existing recessed (internal) rod holders they don't fit at the right angle or secure in the horizontal pin because they don't reach it so check carefully beforehand because the holders are usually the most expensive component of outriggers. As far as I know Cabelas now only carries the Tacos outriggers.  Here are some sturdy outrigger holders (that double as heavy duty rod holders as well) that will work with many if not most setups though if you already have the poles:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Tigress-SeaTiger-Economy-Stainless-Steel-Rod-Rigger/737145.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Doutrigger%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=outrigger&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Edited by Sk8man