Holy smokes! Billy V on Cayuga April 26th, 2013

Holy Smokes!  From the moment the first rod went in the water it was game on this morning.  For the first two hours of the morning it was all we could do to get rods in the water and after that it settled into a very steady bite.  We rarely were able to get our full spread in the water today.  Thin fins on the boards kicked butt again - White, Black/White. Gold/Black, and Fire Tiger all were studs.  KABOOM's in Goby and Silver/Black and Jr Thundersticks in Glow/Green were almost as good.  Super Slim spoons in SSW, Die Hard, and Green Goby did their fair share of damage on the Cannon's too.  Best rigger depths were 5-15 ft down.  The lake had laid down from Wednesday and temps were up a good 3 degrees.  I had my Dad at the wheel and I was running the back of the boat so I didn't get much time to check temps & speeds but I'd say 1.4-1.8 mph on our Depth Raider was our best speed and we had 48-53 degree water on the shelf at the south end.  We ended our 5 hours fishing time at an incredible 48 for 59!  Most of the fish were atlantics and most were in that 13"-17" throw-back range, but we boated and kept a few keepers.  We also boated 4 beautiful chain pickerel with the biggest being the fatty pictured below - all released.  With about an hour left in the trip we decided to head to deeper water and see if the laker bite was there, and it was in spades.  Green Dot Spin Dr/Sigg's Rigs Green Hypnotists and White Spin Dr/Sigg's Rigs Glow Ghost combos fished off of divers out 275' and 300' on a #2 setting took a bunch of lakers at the end of the trip for us.   There were several other boats out in the same general area that we were fishing and we saw a few boats hooked up - I hope they had the same type of day that we did 'cuz it was a riot.  What a great fishery we have here on Cayuga Lake.

Steiner_zpse5b38f22.jpg

Steiner2_zps57b5b783.jpg

Steiner3_zpsde0b9ead.jpg

Edited by Billy V

Nice fish and very good report. I do have a question though.....are you sure your temp gauge is correct the 53 temp sounds way out of bounds for what everything else seems to have been running  e.g. Canandaigua and Seneca north end barely low 40's last time out...and lately cold rain....

100% certain on the temp.  We have three different temp sensors and they all read the same.  There's been a nice light NW breeze the past few days that's allowed the lake to set up and it's stacked up the warm water from the feeder creeks in the south end.

We were out on the south end today with similar results.One thing that concerned me is the lamprey eels  this year.We had one fish that had 3 on him.I think all but maybe 3 or 4 had lampreys on them.Has any had similar results with lampreys this year?

We were out on the south end today with similar results.One thing that concerned me is the lamprey eels  this year.We had one fish that had 3 on him.I think all but maybe 3 or 4 had lampreys on them.Has any had similar results with lampreys this year?

yep same results for us last weekend