Mobile machanic

I have a problem with my 1987 350 mercruiser. When I try to bump up the throttle from a slow troll (about 800 rpms)    the motor will run for a few minutes then surge to about 1100 rpm. I can't dial in the speed between 2 and 3 mph.  I've tried everything I can think of to fix this including having the carb rebuilt, all new plugs, wires, cap, etc. I even tried to lube the throttle cable. Now I'm looking for a dependable mechanic in the Irondiquoit Bay area who might be able to help out.

Thanks, Rick

I have an '04 4.3L mercruiser engine that does the same thing, after you come out of idle you bump bump bump the throttle and nothing. bump bump bump then it takes off there's no in between. I have been told that that's the way it's supposed to be. I so have to adjust my trim up and down and sometimes use trolling bags to get my speed. If you find out otherwise I'd be happy to hear !!

This is a new problem for me. it used to work fine. I can bump it up and it will be ok for a while and then just rev higher without touching the throttle. Does anyone know if the mercruiser "brain box"could cause this? I had it replaced and it seems like the problem started shortly after. Is the brain box and ignition amplifier the same thing?

This is a new problem for me. it used to work fine. I can bump it up and it will be ok for a while and then just rev higher without touching the throttle. Does anyone know if the mercruiser "brain box"could cause this? I had it replaced and it seems like the problem started shortly after. Is the brain box and ignition amplifier the same thing?

Yes they are & that is most likely your problem with the older style amplifier. Was the replacement a new or used unit?