Well, weekend was a little too windy and cold for me, & the festival was a madhouse, so took today off & went fishing.  Launched solo at the river around 5:15.

5-28-13Russell1_zpsdfd4e730.jpg

River temp was 64F and passed this guy on the way out.  (Lake Guardian is in town)

5-28-13Russell2_zpsb90d6dbf.jpg

Didn’t see any local reports early when I got up this morning so headed out  to the old stomping grounds & put in around 90 Ft.  Surface temp 52.5F.  Easterly wind, maybe 1 ft waves.  Cloud cover building.  Thought I saw a near full moon on the way out but it disappeared quickly.  Temp down 50 was 48F but somewhat inconsistent.

Anyways, worked from 95 to 145 a few times.  Littlwe too choppy to keep a board out there by myself so stacked on the 2nd rigg'r.   Went 6 for 6.  3 small Kings (2 were tiny); 1 Laker & 2 Rainbow.  Kings hit NK Wonderbread down 55.  Laker & Rainbow were a double – and another Cluster Humper.  Laker down 75, same lure, Rainbow hit a pink Bomber stacked only 12 ft down. 

What’s with the Rainbow this year?  Another one that looked like it barely survived a major car crash:

5-28-13Russell4_zpsec4569ce.jpg

It also had a fresh lamprey mark on its other side, but back by tail.  Look at it’s tail & lower Jaw….Hmm…

Finally, here’s what a Lake Ontario Rainbow is supposed to look like!

5-28-13Russell5_zpsfd598422.jpg

Also on the pink stick, stacked 12 ft down.  All fish taken in the 110-120 FOW range.  All caught running faster than normal - 2.7 down speed. 

Two other boats out there.  8 o’clock & it looked gloomy over the city, 9 o’clock started sprinkling out there and Saturday is only 4 days away, so pulled them up.  Headed in & got soaked on the way.  Who was it that said you get less wet if you go fast during the rain?????

Luck to all,

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Great report as always - solo and only a few hours and 6 fish which is a great job! Nothing like landing a solo double, too!!

Glad to hear that the kings are starting to show up in better numbers around Rochester.

Good luck and be safe,

Chris

That steelhead that looks like it got hit by a car, is what i call a war vet. That fish and any that look like that were in the streams doing their spawning thing. Digging beds in gravel, getting hooked or harassed by fisherman, etc. I typically have my people release the fish. Partly due to the poor eating quality, and the fact that they made it out of the war zone to do it all over again. The other rainbow is just that. A domestic rainbow that has not gone in to spawn yet in its life. Those war vets tend to hang in the warmer side of the temp breaks. Looks like you had some fun for sure, keep up the good work.

Nice report. Got a couple of days off here this week and might get out again too.

Do you have auto pilot? Wish i could fish solo but not comfortable enough launching by myself.

Gotta get my auto pilot fixed. Went nuts this weekend with my buddies tangling my lines

Thanx guys.

Tim - I've caught beat-up rainbows before but they were all a bit darker.  This guy turned his lake colors and had pinkish "skin" rips, gut, side & back.  I was wondering if he near killed himself trying to shake the lampry which had him about an inch in front of his tail (on the other side)

Jeff - Launching solo at the River is not hard.  My auto pilot was made by an Italian company called "Bungie".   :)   

Tom B.

(LongLine)