Copper Rods?

Has anyone used the Shimano TDR as a copper rod?  I have the 2- Okuma classic pros designed for Copper line, but was looking to see what others are using and if they have good luck with them as an alternative. Feedback is always appreciated. 

I have the Okuma GLT rods.  I'm not crazy about them.  Kind of a meat stick~imo.  But have the backbone for the longer coppers.  I prefer a rod with a softer tip.  Might get the 9' Ugly stiks later on down the road for the shorter copper's. 

There is nothing wrong with Okuma copper/ LC rods and have had no problems especially for the price. Compared to the Talora copper rod price which was over $100. I don't see the reason to pay that much to run my "junk" lines.

Sent from my iPhone

I would have to say that the Okuma Classic Pro GLT- copper/leadcore trolling rod (model # CP-CL-862M) is probably the best copper rod out there.

Switched this year from the Okuma rods to Ugly Stick BW 1101 light action 8'3 rods and the are the best leadcore and copper rods I ever had .. You can feel the fish movements so much better and they handle even big copper fine....

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The copper rod you choose should be based upon how you want to deploy your copper. If you want to pull inline boards like a Church TX 44 with your rods, you will need a medium/heavy rod to fish in rough water or they will take a beating. If you're going to deploy the copper down the chute or off large boards, you can go with a more conservative powered rod. Keep in mind that when you are using a fishing rod, the fisherman is on the short end of the lever and the weight and drag caused by the copper, inline board (if using them) and the fish are pulling on the long side of the lever. Shorter rods of about 7' will definitely make your copper fishing more pleasant than using longer rods.

Talking with people about rods, I see a common thread in that most people who hate to land fish on copper are using longer rods in the 9-10.5' range. I'd recommend 8' maximum and 7' for inline board rods. You don't need any special guides for copper other than make sure they are large enough to pass your splices and swivels. Make sure to deploy all the copper past the tip of your rod and you will avoid kinking your copper with the tip.

Edited by John E Powell

I switched to 7 foot Ugly sticks Medium action for my short coppers. Much easier to fight a fish with as the fish has much less leverage on me.

The BWD 1101 7'0" medium power 2 piece is a nice factory rod for copper as long as it will pass your splices or swivels in your rigging.

The BWD 1101 7'0" medium power 2 piece is a nice factory rod for copper as long as it will pass your splices or swivels in your rigging.

No problem. The eyes are larger than level wind guides. Reels can be the limiter on swivels and splices.

All you have to do is pry the level opening wind a little wider carefully with a screwdriver ...