Otisco Lake 7/14/13 ~ Tracy's first Tiger & first post!

Justin took me out after a swim & we trolled the East side. I no sooner got two rods out on boards & the right side rod started screaming! After a great battle I FINALLY got my first tiger musky! Caught it on a perch shad rap 9, 20 down over 40 fow, Gps speed 3.1. Not sure exactly how big fish was due to the fact that we had no way of measuring a fish over 40 today! Fish was only out of water for 10 sec & a safe release! Sorry pic is over zoomed but Justin was in his boxers & fish was to big for me to handle! Second pic of me with destroyed shad rap! All in all AWESOME weekend...GREAT weather & an Otisco SLAM....walleye, tiger musky, lmb, smb & brown trout! :D

This weekend marks 52 weeks with our boat. THANKS LOU...for without all of you we would have never come so far so fast!!!!! :D

~ Tracy ~

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-151276-13738372298319_thumb.jpg

post-151276-13738372585166_thumb.jpg

I have a new respect for all of you musky hunters! Dont know how you guys are able to get good pics and measure and safely release the monsters you catch with only 2 people! We were so overmatched I felt helpless. Boats all around im trying to work on the fish, drive with the remote. While she held the net and told me which way to steer watching out for the other boats, lines still out, and she could barely hold the net with both hands. I had all the stuff, hook cutters, spreaders, big net, fairly heavy tackle and its a miracle it swam off! Water is way too far down on a pontoon, but I didnt lift it with the net. All the while im frantic she is totally calm no big deal! Always thought id mount a fish like that but I couldnt kill it...have absolutely no idea of its size only that it was much bigger than the almost 42 from last year or sure seemed it. Surreal...sr9 was just crushed...think she wanted me to keep it but that wasnt gonna happen..sorry im long winded but had to get this down as I use my posts as a journal.

Justin

What a great day of fishing!! And your first tiger musky... :yes: ! Congratulations! BTW, not nearly the degree of your "first timer deal", but exciting because of it's unexpectedness to me. Last week I caught my first spotted bass. In Shasta lake in California. As far as I can be sure, they don't exist in NY. They have become the most numerous bass specie in that lake, outnumbering the plentiful (and bigger) largemouths, and also smallies. Several were caught all over the place. Always really cool to catch a "new to me" fish :nod: .But I had not been targeting at all....just trolling and casting for whatever and those guys were willing! Again....great deal on the tiger and all else man   :clap: !!

Edited by panfisher

Here are some measuring devices commonly used by musky anglers. This board would not let me post the images from google image search so go to the links for examples.

This is a 60 in tubular floating measuring stick. It has inch markings gong in both directions so you don't have to worry about which end is which. They are available at many catalog tackle outlets. Good for in water measurement but not always accurate. You can use it on a flat surface but should be careful not to lay the fish on a surface such as a carpeted floor which will remove the fish's protective slime.

Here is one example of what is referred to as a bump board. You have to remove the fish from the water but it is considered to be the most accurate type of device to measure length with as long as the nose of the fish is at the stop and the fish is straight and flat on the board. Very often in catch and release tournaments, a clear photo or video on the board is required for proof of size so it is best to have one with a ruler that is easilly visible in a photo. It is best to wet it down to minimze how much slime gets rubbed off the fish. It is typically accecptable to squeeze the tail to get a maximum indication. They are commercially available or many anglers make their own.

You can use a tailor's measuring tape to measure girth. You can get them anywhere you find sewing supplies.

I have a new respect for all of you musky hunters! Dont know how you guys are able to get good pics and measure and safely release the monsters you catch with only 2 people! We were so overmatched I felt helpless. Boats all around im trying to work on the fish, drive with the remote. While she held the net and told me which way to steer watching out for the other boats, lines still out, and she could barely hold the net with both hands. I had all the stuff, hook cutters, spreaders, big net, fairly heavy tackle and its a miracle it swam off! Water is way too far down on a pontoon, but I didnt lift it with the net. All the while im frantic she is totally calm no big deal! Always thought id mount a fish like that but I couldnt kill it...have absolutely no idea of its size only that it was much bigger than the almost 42 from last year or sure seemed it. Surreal...sr9 was just crushed...think she wanted me to keep it but that wasnt gonna happen..sorry im long winded but had to get this down as I use my posts as a journal.

Justin

I realize the DEC's goal is to have record Norlunge (as I call them) come out this lake every year (and most  sportsman have bought into this) however, they are  the true definition of a put and take fish and my personal goal of one 44" or bigger will go on the wall with no regrets.  So I hope she gets another one just as big or bigger and  you break out your wallet...

Absolutely!! We have been joking about it, as I always told her over 42 was goin on the wall but the last one that was close I didnt work fast enough and couldnt revive it and we ate it. So I when I had it in my hands I just wanted to see if I could do it. Asked her tonight if she had any regrets, and the answer was NO. Also wasnt prepared to deal with a trophy that size...no big cooler and we were driving a gto...coulda tied it the roof lol...wonder how many women have caught such a fish? I was trying/hoping for a tiger for the slam, but never dreamed it be that big.

Justin

Thanks everyone! Your posts make me even more excited to go out and catch another lunker!!! :) If I thought there were alligators in that lake I would have sworn I was reeling one in! Bummed we were not able to get measurements but size doesn't matter...right guys??? lol Also bummed that I didn't get a pic of myself with that Tiger but there was no way I was going to be able to hold up an "alligator" for a photo shoot! lol All kidding aside it was definitely a great experience and I NEVER could have done it without Justin! I was thrilled we were able to have a successful release of such a beautiful fish. Now I can try to get him again next weekend! lol

Up until 3yrs ago I had never put my hands on a fishing pole, gun or bow (that's right guys...I hunt too)...mind you, not because I didn't want to I just didn't have anyone to show me the ropes. Well, Justin has showed me the ropes and them some! His passion & knowledge of fishing & hunting amazes me & I am truly happy that he loves sharing that with me. It's obvious he knows what he is doing...proof is in the puddin'! Thank You Justin! :) Ok, enough tooting Justin's horn. lol

Thank you again...you are all an inspiration!

P.S. Thank you panfisher and CONGRATS to you on your spotted bass!

~Tracy~

post-151276-0-05705800-1373944835_thumb.jpg

Absolutely!! We have been joking about it, as I always told her over 42 was goin on the wall but the last one that was close I didnt work fast enough and couldnt revive it and we ate it. So I when I had it in my hands I just wanted to see if I could do it. Asked her tonight if she had any regrets, and the answer was NO. Also wasnt prepared to deal with a trophy that size...no big cooler and we were driving a gto...coulda tied it the roof lol...wonder how many women have caught such a fish? I was trying/hoping for a tiger for the slam, but never dreamed it be that big.

Justin

Funny you should say that about not being prepared to keep a fish that big.. First off Kelly and I were on the lake Sunday and we understand the battle you went through. We were actually down by where you caught it, me throwing a multitude of lures while Kelly read her book.  Aafter many many boats drove by  and  jetskis kept circling around we picked up and moved closer to the causeway and proceeded to go through a dozen worms on gills and perch which I think she caught more than I. However after sending out the post to you last night she looked at me and said "honey what are you going to do when you catch a fish that big? and your by yourself" ???? Hmmmm  well the livewell is too small and though her father lives on the lake its not a good idea to have a norlunge flopping around so thanks Justin you just gave me another reason to hit Bass Pro and spend more money..lol

These days there is no real need to keep a fish for a mount. As long as you get a good picture, length measurement and girth measurement you can get a very good replica made that will be every bit as good as the real thing. Also it will last longer. Too me though, the memory of the experience and the picture (or better yet, video) are the most important.

These days there is no real need to keep a fish for a mount. As long as you get a good picture, length measurement and girth measurement you can get a very good replica made that will be every bit as good as the real thing. Also it will last longer. Too me though, the memory of the experience and the picture (or better yet, video) are the most important.

well said.

Normaly I would say there is no real need to shoot small bucks but that's for another spread however, I knew I would get a replica mount reply.. When it comes to musky's I agree with you as they are a reproductive fish the caviat is the fight time, amount of time the fish is out of the water for accurate length/width measurements and good pictures all have an adverse effect on the fish  and many are released to die.  These Norlunge do not reproduce are a put and take fish and I believe the real mounts do look better and per my taxadermist last just as long.

When I said earlier that I don't know how you musky hunters do it I was referring to what captain eyes touched on, the speed at which you must do all of work to be able to revive the fish. The tigers that ive caught in spring and fall were easy but I lost my biggest summer tiger last year and find it harder to safely release them in summer than it is to catch them. I certainly agree tigers are a put and take fish, but Id like to see just how big a tiger can get in Otisco so I put em back if I can revive em. Im adding on a hose to my livewell this week, a mat, and ordering the biggest musky net I can find asap as mine is big enough but tangles hooks and isn't friendly enough on the fishes slime. I reread a post from last year by Mostly Muskies and should have done this sooner. I like the ice jug technique he uses too if I actually was targeting them more, but I camp and ice jugs are not easy to keep all weekend and have room for food and drink. I could probably bring another cooler on the boat just for musky ice. Im all ears for other tricks.

justin

Once the water hits 80 degrees I will not even fish for them....it's just too tough on them and too hard for me to safely release them- I may lower it to somewhere between 75-78 just because I've caught enough to where I would rather focus on conservation now instead of catching tons of fish.

All of the large tigers weve caught (near 40 and up) have come from walleye trolling, and the smaller ones arent too bad to release if you leave them in the water...i agree with you, but wouldnt be much sense in having a boat and slip at otisco if i stayed home all summer. So we do our best to return them safely, and there is no way not to catch them. I worry more about them cutting me off and having a rapala stuck in them, but there isnt anyway to prevent it walleye fishing...if someone has a trick fill us in....but steel leaders is not something a walleye angler is very open to

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app