I-Bay evening report 7/21/13

I fished with my brother tonight just north of the bay, from 120-160 fow. We fished from 5:00 PM til 8:15 PM and we went 6 for 12. We had a hard time keeping some of the lighter fish on the lines, as they seemed to shake after short hits. The highlight was a 12# steelhead. We landed the large steelhead, two small browns and three kings. It was a very tight thermocline with 49 degree water with 110' of cable out going 2.4 on my Subtroll. However, if I increased speed by only 0.2 mph, the probe would read 60 degrees.

The following all caught fish tonight:

110' rigger - NK standard 42 second spoon

110' rigger free slider - DW SS wonderbread spoon

85' rigger - Fuller King of Sting spoon

195' wire diver pulling a DW SS firefrog

The 600' copper and deep diver (magnum #2 setting, 310' cable) did not take any hits tonight.

Waves were from 1-3' but very tolerable.

It was great to be out and catch a few fish at the same time. BTW - I almost nailed the buoy in 160' fow north of the bay again which was the same beast that took my tackle in May.......WTF- I thought they got rid of that thing....

When I get more time, I'll post video and a pic later in the week.

Good luck to all - please be safe,

Chris

NICE Chris.........not a bad evening of fishing.  Too bad you couldnt get that steelie weighed, I am assuming!   The wave conditions came down alot from the 6-8's +  that were rolling out there in the morning yesterday.  It was insane at Sodus for the Pro-Am, and many were surprised they didnt call it for the amateurs.  I got VERY lucky to be out with Wayne Stoutner and his wife Ellie on their 11 meter Trojan.  WOW that is a great boat to fish out of, but even nicer on days like yesterday.  i wouldnt have left the harbor with my Penn Yan! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks guys for the kind words

When I weighed the steelie on the boat it was 12# - 12.3#, but I lied to my brother Kevin and said "yeah it's only 9-10" so we threw it back knowing that there was no place open on a Sunday night for a weigh in....

I guess that's the price you pay when you evening fish on a weekend.

It was still fun out there,

- Chris