Drop shot walleyes

mhtrapper

I caught a walleye on a beetle spin but I wouldn't suggest that people use it a technique.  Same with drop shotting for them.  If a walleye is hitting your jig or your bait he feels that and whatever weight is part of that which is probably more natural. but if you have weight somewhere else on your rig it is going to feel that weight in a different manner which is unatural and probably spit it.  So if you are drop shotting, it is probably a good presentation but I would suggest using a stinger because walleye are notorious for short hitting baits.  Sometimes in cold water I use a stinger on my shiners because the adult walleye will swim around for what seems like an eternity with half the bait sticking out of its mouth.  The Juvies engulf it right away so it is difficult to gauge when to hook set.  Stingers level the playing field.  I want to catch adult walleye without killing the next generation.

BTW, this is based on river experience.  Guys on the lake may have different ideas.

I caught two 18" walleyes in the last few weeks on Oneida drop shotting senkos for bass. We were following schools of bait (by way of birds) chasing active feeding bass. After catching lots bass and before moving on I noticed on the fish finder there were still lots of marks under the boat. I dropped the senko down to the bottom under the boat and low and behold walleye on right away. Both times is was the same presentation and same result. The total amount of time I spent on doing this was maybe 2-3 minutes as we were bass fishing a tournament. I might give it some more consideration next time I go in search for waldo. Just my experience. :yes: