We arrived at Mexico launch around 10:30 am on Friday. At the launch I met Willy C! That was crazy. He actually recognized my description I guess. Headed out into what were supposed to be less than 1 foot waves to find 2-3' at least. Luckily it calmed down later in the afternoon. Headed NW and found the pack of boats and stayed to the outside. 200 FOW or so. I trolled a clean spoon on one DR and a size 0 silver green tape dodger and crinkle green fly on second DR. Cant remember the depths but changed them often. I have no down temp. One wire mag dipsey with froggy SD and green crinkle fly. One mono dipsey with SD and fly. changed out spoons often. Trolled till 6pm no strikes. never moved a rod other than changing spoons and checking lines etc. Went to Selkirk Shores for the night.

Sat am we decided to head for Oswego. We pulled the Islander with the RV so breaking down camp isn't any big deal since the boat is left hooked up. Arrived at Wrights Landing 7am. Yeah I know that that is late but my other three fishing partners (Dad, brother and son) don't seem to want to get up early!..Anyways, head NE out of wrights to the pack. Trolled depths from 200 - 500 FOW with same setup as day before. Never moved a rod. Sat was pretty sunny and hot. Son was getting bored so we picked up and headed toward shore to troll for anything that would bite. Nothing doing. Headed back out to the deep water around 3pm. Same setup. Took a nice hit on the DR on the 0 silver dodger green tape and crinkle green fly.. took out line, zipped back and forth and I think must have got caught in the wiredipsey or it just broke the leader cause it went dead and my fly was gone. that was the only hit for the day.

Sunday am since it was departure day for us we launched back out of Mexico PT. Headed NW out 7 miles or so. Same setup for the most part. Nice conditions and was cloudy so that was nice. Allot of chatter on Channel 68. Some of it is pretty funny and makes the time pass. 9am took a nice hit on wire mag dipsey 2 setting out 250 feet with froggy SD and an A-Tomik blue & white fly that I picked up on the way back from Oswego at the tackle shop on 104 before getting to Selkirk Shores. The king was ripping out line and I was loving it. After a 10 minute reel my brother missed the first net job and the king started to take more line. Boy was I nervous..Got the King under control if there is such a thing and the second time it was landed successfully..My brother was surprised at the weight lifting it over the gunnel. IT was all high fives! My son (age 9) had the biggest smile on his face. that was priceless! I wish that we could have found more action but being the first time I just didn't have a ton of beginners luck but I got one in the boat. My scale it weighed 23lbs. I was "happy happy happy". Trolled for a few more hours and called it quits. Hated to see it end..Already looking for another down and dirty one day trip whenever I can.

post-151489-0-92211800-1377048785_thumb.jpg

post-151489-0-16547600-1377048806_thumb.jpg

I think there is a certain kind of hormone release when that first king comes on board.

Ok ok...I know what y'all are thinkin!.well?...ya just gotta do it agin!

Feels good doesn't it!...and ya think about it a lot...way to go ADK! Congrates on yer first one!..each one is just as good a feeling as the first!

Mark

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's awesome man. I'm Sure your sons already asking when your going out again. The sickness has been given. Anyways save up some money over the winter months and pick up a probe. You won't regret it and your catch rate will go up. See you on the water.

Sweet job my man..my son is now 22 and has had salmon fever since he was 6 when we were stationed in Ft.Drum and we fished pulaski for the first x... kept him outta trouble growing up and we both still get excited hooking them..congrats to u and ur team.. fishon!

Sent from my Torque using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Rippin'Line. oh that is one of the top priorities on my list. I am lucky in that I make maple syrup and whatever $  Imake on each given year goes for boat/fishing stuff. Two items that will be purchased is the new Fish Hawk X4 and a new Depthfinder/chartplotter.

CONGRATS on your first king, and your sons smile is priceless also, I remember the first one we caught I didn't have all the info from this site to help us, so it was like high fives and hand shakes, we finally did it!! we forgot all about the fish in the net it was crazy for a while. I'm sure it was like that for you. Good going!!!  

Congrats on a great fish! I don't know about Oswego and Mexico but Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in Sodus were the three best days all year. It can be tough without a probe but my guess is that you were fishing too shallow. Most of the fish in Sodus area seemed to be parked about 110 feet down on average. Many of the guys reported that most of them came in deep water down 110 -130 feet. My biggest on Saturday came off a 5 color lead core tied to a 130 down downrigger with a 12 lb weight. 

We fished primarily over 350-450 FOW..I had my DR down between 95 and 175 feet. I ahve 200' cable on the riggers. I honestly think I was fishing too deep!