Seneca last night (8-20-13): What a mess!

Guppy 35 (Sean) and I went out from Sampson at 4:30 PM in my boat hoping to fish in a few of my favorite spots nearby. Unfortunately we were immediately met with two things that put a crimp in our plans: Weeds and debris and surface water that looked as though someone had spilled a green paint can all over it....algae bloom. Although I have seen this and worse on Honeoye I've never seen it this bad on Seneca. To sweeten the pot....the fleas were moderately bad as well. We could see the floating weeds to the south right from the marina.We tried to go north of Sampson and it appeared to be getting worse so we headed across the lake near Angus .It was somewhat better there and on the west side in general but close to shore looked pretty questionable so we set up in about 100 ft with two dipseys off outriggers, a wire rig at 200 with a spoon, a braid rig (yes I know they attract fleas but wanted to see how bad) at  175 with a spoon (trying out new spoons), two downriggers one with sliders one set at 55 the other at 60 based on earlier temp readings for the first 80 ft. We trolled from Angus to just north of Dresden varying things but couldn't coax a hit. Tried a leadcore - nothing there either. marked only lakers down deep  or on the bottom. Pulled up everything scooted to about a mile or so south of Long Point and went deep and set up three Seth Greens with variety of lures and set them up higher than usual to cover the band of water from 40 ft - 90ft. with one jug rig. In short - one laker about 7 lbs on the 4th leader down on a side rig (Sean) released without bringing into boat. He had  two14 to 16 inch lampreys attached one behind the gill and the other mid body- both escaped before I could "multiply" them. So one laker for three and a half hours of trolling. Not great results but it was a gorgeous evening , the lake was flat, with a slight breeze, and a great sunset. We had fun chatting, comparing notes on fishing stuff, and had supper on the lake...hard to beat that. Sean was great company, and on his game with setting up and dismantling things, and we hit it off great as it was the first time we had met in person. Hopefully we'll have better luck next time :) . Les

Yes pulled the rigs deep out of desperation...I was wondering if that was you Nick but couldn't tell. Those weeds had to be bad there....

The weeds were spotty but the algae/ pollen bloom was horrible. Just looked gross. A lot of fire wood out there from the bad storm in millport last week. Catherine flooded really bad...

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Guess , maybe I should have stayed in the pea soup....I knew it was where I needed to fish but it looked uninhabitable for beast or man :lol:  As it was I had to stop at the car wash and wash down the boat on the way home (which I do anyway after each time out so I know for sure I'm not responsible for the invasive species) :)

I think the lake has changed considerably since Sunday by the looks of it Kev.

I guess you really had to keep your eyes peeled on the way home Nick with all that debris in the water (hard in the dark).

that suck  I hate fishing that crap. its time to chase kings the rest of the month anyways. My wife loves me this time of year. Fish on the boat in the morning, then head up to the pier to fling spoons for the kings in the evening :lol:

True Jeff. :) More important enjoying yourselves out there spending quality time  with good people anyway.

Edited by Sk8man

True Jeff. :) More important enjoying yourselves out there spending quality time  with good people anyway.

" Quality time " for you... :P ...... poor Guppy 35 (Sean) I feel for ya................. :lol:

Nice report guys !!!! :yes: ....... ya shoulda PM me I gave Nick a heads up on the weeds....... :bandit:

:)  I thought about it but figured you'd probably bust my B???? even more Ed if we didn't connect with something :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

" Quality time " for you... :P ...... poor Guppy 35 (Sean) I feel for ya................. :lol:

Nice report guys !!!! :yes: ....... ya shoulda PM me I gave Nick a heads up on the weeds....... :bandit:

Haha Ed, Les even provided a "moonlit dinner" on the boat for me.  What a nice guy!  His wife's Zucchini bread was pretty darn good too.

• 3 weeks later...