Cuomo signs law requiring boating safety courses

L&M

After you pass the test, close the site and give it a few minutes. Go back to it as a "returning user" and log in.  Go to "my account" and it will list the certificates that you've earned at the lower left, under the calendar.  There's a "print" icon with each certificate.   

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I'm still unclear whether everyone has to take it right now (except for exempt people) or if it is geared only for folks under18 yrs. what's the scoop?

The NY law states those born on or before May 1 1996 must complete an approved safety course in order to operate a motorize boat..Those born after that date are exempt...Sk8man asks an interesting question.. about who else must take the safety course....No clear ans. appears out there rite now..But I'm guessing, with all the other states going in the same direction.  If a New Yorker wishes to trailer his rig out of state he made need to produce his safety boat operator certificate that he can obtain with a free test taken on line..Must score at least 80% on the test which I believe is given in 6 segments...Mite be something every one mite consider..Especially if you are considering out of state fishing trip trailering ur rig.Or just a boating trip with family..You'll be prepared  with a valid safety course certificate in your wallet..Couldn't hurt..

So I just finished the BoatUS on-line course.  (passed...yay!)  Even learned a couple things that I had never thought about. 

For example:  if you smell or have smoke coming out of your doghouse and open the lid real quick - you could trigger a massive flame/flareup as the lid could suck air into it real quick.  Now that I think about it...duh...that makes perfect sense.  The course got me thinking about it  so I'd say that yes, it's worth the time to take one of the courses.

What the heck, beats shoveling the driveway.

Tom B.

(LongLine)  

Congrats on passing your test.

As for the fires in the dog house, you run an outboard so you're cool.

There is a setup you can use that makes sense. It's a heat triggered sensor fire extinguisher that you place in the doghouse. Many soldiers owe their lives to that little gimmick

Sk8-  Short answer - yes - take the internet course now. (It's cold, boat is covered with snow & shoveling the driveway is not great entertainment.)

The long answer: This bill was signed into law:

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S1639A-2013

SUMMARY OF PROVISIONS:

Section 1 of the bill amends subdivision 1 of section 49 of the Navigation law to provide that no person born on or after May 1, 1996 shall operate a mechanically propelled vessel on the navigable waters of the state or any tidewaters bordering on or lying within the boundaries of Nassau and Suffolk counties unless:

a. the operator is at least 10 years old and is the holder of a boating safety certificate issued by the Commissioner of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, the United States Power Squadrons or the United States Coast Auxiliary; or

b. the operator is younger than 18 years-of-age and is accompanied on the mechanically propelled vessel by at least one person who is at least 18 years-of-age and is the holder of a boating safety certificate or who is not required by this subdivision to hold a boating safety certificate; or

c. the operator is 18 years of age or older, is a person required by this subdivision to hold a boating safety certificate and is accompanied by at least one person who is at least 18 years of age and the holder of a boating safety certificate; or

d. the operator is the owner of a recently purchased vessel and may operate such vessel without the otherwise required boating safety certificate for a period of time not to exceed 120 days from the date of purchase

This section also provides that the provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to persons who are: born on or before April 30, 1996; certified by the Commissioner as boating safety instructors; members of the U.S. Power Squadrons; members of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary; holders of a public vessel license; police officers, peace officers, fire personnel, rescue personnel or lifeguards, when acting pursuant to assigned duties; or licensed to operate vessels by the U.S. or Canadian Coast Guard.

Section 3 of the bill amends section 75 of the navigation law to stipulate that the existing comprehensive boating safety education program initiated and put into effect by the Commissioner shall provide for the training of all boat operators in the safe operation of vessels.

Section 4 of the bill amends subdivision 1 of section 78 of the Navigation law to stipulate that the existing plan put into effect by the Commissioner for boating safety training and the issuance of boating safety certificates shall apply to all boat operators.

Section 5 of the bill amends section 79 of the Navigation law by numbering the first paragraph and adding a new paragraph 2 to authorize the Commissioner, at his or her discretion, to develop a method for approving internet-based boating safety courses as an appropriate and effective method for the administration and completion of training in the safe operation of vessels, including personal watercraft and specialty prop-craft, for the purposes of awarding boating safety certificates.

Other sections state that internet-based training will be ok if approved by NYS; Rental places have to provide on the spot training; effective on May 1st after signed into law.

There is another bill currently referred to Dept of Parks & Recreation that would require a two year "education period" but that has not been passed yet.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanx Conelius.  I blew the question about what's most important when you see a lighthouse.    :thinking:    duh...should have thought about that right-a-way joke between the lighthouse keeper and the aircraft carrier...   :$

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Congrats on passing your test.

As for the fires in the dog house, you run an outboard so you're cool.

There is a setup you can use that makes sense. It's a heat triggered sensor fire extinguisher that you place in the doghouse. Many soldiers owe their lives to that little gimmick

This is a Halon Automated Fire Suppression System. Usually just called a 'Halon'. Definitely should be high on your safety list for those with I/O's or Inboards.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I too just did the test and passed.

You are right Tom. It does beat shoveling snow and yes there are a lot of interesting things in there that I did not know.

I heard something about ones drivers license getting added info embedded like (life time) fishing/hunting licenses. Would having completed a boating safety course also be added to ones driving license?

Cornelis.

Edited by rolmops