Whitney Point Reservoir

hey everyone.  just wondering if anyone has any tips for fishing the WPR.  I just got a small boat with a 15hp and would like to give it a try.  I've ice fished there before but never had much luck.  Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Josh

I've fished there a lot this spring and summer. My best days were fishing near the dam at the south end. Also did well off the second island" the north one" did most my fish on fatheads. A lot of walleye in the fishery but legal size there is 18". There is tons of 17 1/2" fish there.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I also ran into an old timer a couple weeks ago out by the islands, he told me right where I was sitting he got into the perch last year. I was in about 14 fow fishing the transition on the channel. There's an old channel that runs through and that's where you will find the deeper water. Haven't got numbers of perch but the ones I got where nice. Also fish the structure around shore........crappie. good luck and tight lines

There's still tons of active fish there....I drive about an hour and a half to fish there and don't mind going there because it's active fishing ....you might not get what your targeting but you catch abundance of fish

TV gag m

I live right near there and drive right by it 3+ times a week to fish otisco! Plenty of walleyes and the occaisional 10lber but on the whole not enough big fish for me. Spillway is already heating up, and the susquehanna too, but ill take the big girls from otisco anyday over the reservoir. Also check out the walleye forum in warmwater

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of sub-legal fish here. You will generally have great catch numbers but the quality of fish are skinny and short oppose to the big fat otisco walleye justtracytrolling mentioned. I live about 5 miles away and fished it all my life. A few years back we ran into some decent size fish all summer long in the 4-6 # range. 

WP seems to lack a sufficient minnow forage base for good population growth. It's 15 min for me to get there and yet, so far,  I have also found it to be somewhat of an overfished, 'dead sea'. I am going to keep at it though!

Flatlines and shallower divers...unless you are near the dam or the channel there isnt any depth. The place is full of snags and structure...the channel takes skill to troll as its skinny and wanders with tight turns...there are some flats that are 10-12 fow....thats what i fish most...the res is a nightmare as there are many UNMARKED places you can run aground. Casting right to shore on the dam end is popular, easy, and safe at night. The spillway has bigger fish and you can stand on shore...you still get tons of snags. Give me 60 fow and suspended fish....too stressful fishing the reservoir!! When i fished it more i used a canoe from keibel road and caught plenty.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app