The fish that refuses to die!

Sneaky Duck

So, by this point I'm sure everyone knows that I'm new to this.  My buddy and I caught a perch today and I brought it home to fillet (this is the first time i've ever intended to eat my catch.)  I had a business meeting so after we caught the fish at around 4:00 I put it in a ziplock bag and put it in the fridge.  It's 9:15 and the stupid thing's flopping around on the cutting board!  Is this common?  It's 5+ hours later of him being out of the water and it's still alive! :P

I believe I actually learned about that in school.  Isn't that where they found out about how freezing food preserves it.  Some ice fisherman tossed a frozen fish in a tub to thaw and it started swimming.  This freaked me out cause he never froze.  he was just in a bucket then a ziplock.  Oh well.  It's done!  my first ever fillets!

Just let's you know you can't get any fresher fish, I've had perch lay on the ice all day. I get them home filet them in house and some always start flipping around. They are neat to see do that for sure. Glad you had a good day enjoy the meals nothin better.

Oh it did!  I probably left a bit more meat on the carcass then I should have, so Sammie and I each only got 1 bite... but it was for sure the best fish I've ever eaten!    Hopefully the first of MANY this year!

That's why perch r favorites for food for all kinds of other fish and game as well......not only do they taste good (apparently taste buds send the same messages in other thing's mouths.... :P ) , they also have a strong and nutritious life force to contribute to the higher ups on the food chain.......... :itwasntme:

It is that way with almost any fish and ice fishing. I have had crappie, pickerel, sunfish, and perch come back to life in the kitchen sink.  It is because they are cold blooded and the cold ice, snow whatever slows their body functions way down.

Oh it did!  I probably left a bit more meat on the carcass then I should have, so Sammie and I each only got 1 bite... but it was for sure the best fish I've ever eaten!    Hopefully the first of MANY this year!

Conservation is important, but eating fish and game that you harvest is what its all about for me!  You cant beat FRESH fish.  Sounds like you're hooked!

justin

I'm not sure if I'd like an electric knife or not.  I sure need to sharpen this one though.  The factory edge isn't really doing it for me.  I'm eating my second fish tonight!  Today was AWESOME!  I caught a perch, lost the minnow off my tip-up to a pike or something, and caught a steelhead on a TINY pink and yellow perch jig with a mousse on it!  HOLY CRAP that caught me by surprise!  The perch was barely noticeable and I practically knocked the little guy out on the ice when i set the hook.  The trout was a tick then YANK as he took off!  SOOO much fun catching big fish on tiny rods!  I'm hooked for SURE!

Yes you never know what you'll get. While fishing for perch with 2 lb test on Keuka a couple years ago I was looking down the hole and an Atlantic salmon swam by I reeled up my jig and spike in front of him and he sucked it in his mouth without even moving the rod tip (just under the ice) I tightened it and he took off but I got him in - a nearly 25 inch specimen which I cooked out on the grill and he was great. The best one though was a guy next to me on Canandaigua fishing for perch through the ice and he started yelling and I ran over to see him land a 12 pound lake trout on 2 lb test line.....pretty cool ....but pretty lucky too :)

Edited by Sk8man

Chas0218......you're correct sir. Same thing with muscle stress after working out (icing) or those recent quick cold therapies after football hits and other stuff like that. Slows stuff down, preventing inflammation, which does a lot of damage. Warm back up and walk (or swim....) away, none the worse for the wear.....