Who runs 16lbs. downrigger weights?

I am planning on running a set of Harvey's (Troutman) 16lbs. downrigger weights and was wondering what some of your thoughts were on these weights or just 16lbs. weights in general.  

I am hoping to get my rigger lines under control this year I had 1 side cross last year and that was the end of my 10 lbs. weights for salmon fishing. Luckily I didn't loose any tackle but it was one hell of a rats nest and lost a nice fish because of it.

While I don't have a set of the weights you mentioned, I do have a set of Torpedo Brand Weights in the 16lb size. They're good to about 140 ft or so of cable. Much more than that and the blowback on the cable starts to get a bit excessive. Much deeper than that and you  probably need 20lb weights.

Not sure if that is what you want to know or not, but if you have other questions feel free to contact me directly.

Edited by John E Powell

i WOULD THINK that pancake weights are the most idea for getting down to depth due to their small diameter. they do not seem to be very popular though. maybe they are affected the most by current? I only have 8 lb homemade round weights.

I run the ones from Harvey, but the one size smaller....12.5 or 13 lbers, can't remember exactly what they are.  They are great,  they track well and blowback is pretty minimal down to about 90 feet for me.  The deepest i went with them was 115 and they got down there.  I run manual riggers so if I ran 16 lb weights, i wouldn't be able to lift my arms at the end of the day.

I too run manuals, by the end of the summer my new member name will be Popeye! Lol I was hoping for responses like those.  I generally don't fish over 130' because it's too far of a ride on the east end.

I bought a set of 16 lb. weights from Harvey for my corner riggers mostly to get my fish hawk X-4 probe down with minimal blow back. They are identical to the one's pictured. Works great, I use 13 lb.

pancake weights on the boom riggers with angled fin to get as much as I can off to either side.