Live Target Lures

315angler

Anybody seem those live target bait ball lures? I think they look interesting, I just got one and plan on using it first thing at oneida for the opener. I feel like it would be a great lure for lots of fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Cabela's has some swimbaits that have the laser print technology and they are 1/2 the price of LiveTarget.  I do not know which ones work (or work better) but my history has told me that when I pay for expensive lures they tend to catch more bottom than fish.

GOTO Cabelas and type HDS for search.  They have a few lipless cranks that are nice too.

I have looked at the bait ball lures.  This is another theme on the same tactic as Alabama rig.  I have seen them used on bass with great success.  That is if catching a lot of bass on a small lake that is catch and release only and by invite only means it catches a lot of fish.  Try using other tactics too.  Another theme (bait ball) that just came out are these spinning leaders.  BooYah makes these and my personal opinion is that they should get more fish attention than a crankbait with 3 individual fish in them.  You can use different trailers for each one instead of spending more $$ to get a different look.  They also come in different weights to allow you to target different depths.  I have seen walleye push gizzard shad upto the surface and if I were color blind I would say it looks just like an Alabama rig going through the water.  They are not tightly packed but more like 1-2 feet diameter.

A great quote that I heard from an old pro went like this.  "All this stuff works at some point somewhere but it doesn't guarantee it will work all the time."  I have 6 separate methods prepared for Saturday.  Good luck.  Could be a banner day or it could be a rough day.  I am just Thankful that I can participate.

Joe

I have a bunch of the bait ball sticks and they worked fine this winter.  The livingston sticks took the hardest shots this winter by far.  My son had a 7lber completely swallow one!  They all are too expensive and completely unnecessary...but fun to buy and try nonetheless!!  Boat is getting closer...should have some pics to post friday!!