Hemlock Smelt Experiment

Hello All,

In northern Maine, apparently hook-and-line fishing for smelt has gotten popular.  My cousin was describing handlining with bits of worm, then switching to smelt eyeballs for bait after you begin catching them.  I love eating smelt, and haven't had any in years.  Seems like a worthwhile experiment to take my kayak over there, with a portable fishfinder to locate schools, drop a line in and see what happens.

Doubt if i will be competing with many of you, so I was wondering if anybody could suggest a part of the lake where I might find bait schools in the summertime?  I've only been on Hemlock a few times and have never really fished it.  It's a little bit too big to paddle all over until I find smelt.  just looking to narrow the search down.

Thanks in advance.

Pete Collin

www.pcforestry,.com

Smelt are usually bottom oriented and deep most of the year with the exception of spawning in the Spring. Ice fishing at night especially the lights seem to draw them toward the surface or suspended below it. In the summer sawbellies will come up from the deep to just below surface in response to lights (e.g. lanterns) and even surface to catch bugs attracted to the light and this is how we used to get our bait for night fishing at the south end of Canandaigua and Keuka Lakes. If you were located directly over a school of smelt they might behave similarly ....I'm not sure because in all the years I never saw a smelt do it only sawbellys (alewives).

Edited by Sk8man

Once the ice is thick enough to walk on get a fish house cut a 2 x 4 foot hole in the ice matching a hole in the house the same size hook up a 100 watt bulb with a generator and a dimmer switch. the smelt come up into the hole to feed on plankton in the light slowly dim the light and they will ball up tight. that's how we fish for them with a drop net

I think I would try Canadice out in the deep water strait out from the boat launch they were pretty thick out there when ice was on.Hemlock it is a lot further to deep water from the launches.