Canandaigua 3-31-14 (Seager Tournament)

I decided to fish it at the last minute and still hadn't straightened out my stuff from the three day Seneca Derby so I spent much of my time looking for stuff on the boat :)  messiest it has ever been.  Not sure how many LOU guys fished it but a couple boats looked familiar....

I trolled through a lot of water and debris wasn't bad at north end but when I approached the southern half of the lake there were some scum lines and a few branches floating around out in the middle.  I started at 57 ft  near pump station with the riggers and sliders and a TX 44 board with a dipsey set out 175 and never went shallower....never a touch and didn't mark much. I then headed out to deeper water and dropped down 2 Seth Green rigs with 5 leaders each and a 5 color lead core down the chute (spoons, sticks and even a small dipsey with just a fly and never a hit the whole time). Didn't mark any bait (has to still be in shallow) and only a few fish all morning (a few smaller ones were in 203 ft. up at about 40 ft looked like either small rainbows or browns from where they were situated near Notre Dame and a few really large fish just off bottom in 257 ft. I trolled the west side down to the condos and turned east and then north and on the turn picked up a 5 pound brown on the first leader down (running about 40 ft or so Sutton 22). Trolled north and went into about 130 ft and back out to 200 plus range and picked up small laker on same rod and spoon. Ran a deep rig nearly the whole time without anything with mixture of spoons constantly adjusting it up and down to no avail. Trolled back south without anything but looked like guys near me pulled in a heavy laker  (maybe a money fish as they seemed to struggle lifting it.) The north wind then blew up with white caps and rolling waves and at 1 PM I said the heck with it and took off for the ramp. I stopped in at Seagers and looked at the board and it looked like they had three or four10 pound and change fish the biggest 10.16 I think and the second one at 10.02 not sure how it ended up. The reason I posted such detail for little results isso that hopefully you guys doing the derby next weekend will have a clue about what NOT to do :lol:  A lot can change in a week though.Water surface temp 58.6 in most places both sides. The brown fought his heart out and didn't revive I gave him to some folks at the launch that looked like they could use him....

post-145411-0-01103800-1401589995_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

I fished yesterday also. Didn't have a hit till about an hour and a half in when we put the riggers at 25 feet over about 35 fow and all three rods went. Caught a rainbow. Laker and brown. We then circled back and hit it again two more fish. We did this about 10 when it shut off. Ended up 11 for 13. Caught 4 big pickerel. 4 browns. 1 bow and 2 lakers. Nothing big but was fun. First good action of the year. post-146539-14016239561426_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I didn't realize the winning 10.16 was a rainbow because the species weren't listed on the board....but that is one hell of a nice fish for the Fingers! I think I may have screwed up fishing it for lakers instead of my usual approach :lol:

I did that same thing at the Seneca derby Les. Next year I will go back to what I know best. Anywho nice lookin brown!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We were out there yesterday - took a little while to get things sorted out for us.  We finally found a decent screen and fish that were willing to bite.  Worked the area for a while with only small fish to show for.  Not much too report honestly- primarily a spoon bite for us.  We ended up 15 for 17 for the day, but nothing over 6 1/2 pounds.  Had a great time and a great little event.  My wife spent most of the day on the wheel while myself and another guy worked the back of the boat.  Early in the morning she was driving and we had boards out, and she said - "I think this guy is going to come over on us" he was outside of us and we were inside, and I said - just keep it straight and watch the boards....give him room if he needs it but don't drive the boards behind the mooring balls that are out for sailboats....she kept talking to me and at one point I glance over, but we had plenty of space (my wife tends to exaggerate at times) anyways - finally she starts freaking out a little, and I look over and there is a boat almost inside of out outside board, but in front of the board - the guy was solo and said sorry so no worries at all if he is on this board and reading this thread.   I know how hard it is solo as I have done it many times...unfortunately we were pinned up against those mooring balls, so we couldn't move much.  Probably should have paid a little more attention to what my wife was saying but she is pretty good on the wheel most of the time.  Again a great little event and we will certainly do it again.  Hoping for better results this coming weekend!!! 

Zack...I wonder why they posted the pic of the guy holding up the big bow on their website? usually it is the winners pic.... :)  all nice  fish anyway.

I took another look just now they are different pics than yesterday....there was only the one pic then of a guy holding up a bow. That is why I was a bit more confused than usual.... :)

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks chuck....those fish of yours were great too. WTG derby time it's quality over quantity anyway :)