Simple question about Dipsies

I just bought a braid set up to run my Dipsy set up. I was up in the air with whether I should get wire and not knowing any better I took recommendation to get braid. Hopefully that wasn't a mistake. Anyway, the question I have is, do you tie your braid or wire directly to the dipsey or do you tie A section of mono on between braid and Dipsy like I do with my copper? I have approx 100 ft of 30 or 40 lb mono behind my copper and flasher setup. Is this what I should be doing with Braid and Dipsy too?

Tie the braid to a large quality swivel like a Sampo and attach the swivel to the dipsey.  You are going to have real problems with braid come flea season though.  They'll hang on to it and ball up at you guides to the point you won't be able to reel in the line without removing them.  That's not easy either.

We use wire and and crimp on a fairly large Sampo Swivel to attach the Dipsey. Seems to work well, but it you get a kink in the wire, STOP and cut it out. Kinks immediately. Losing a Dipsey, Spin Doctor, Fly and Snubber adds up, let alone if its after a nice rip on a King.

So the fleas don't stick to the wire at all? I wonder why a well known tackle shop in Pulaski would recommend braid. They said the wire is a pain in the butt and tears up gear. Maybe I wasn't willing to spend enough money for a wire rig so they just focused on what they could easily sell me.

So the fleas don't stick to the wire at all? I wonder why a well known tackle shop in Pulaski would recommend braid. They said the wire is a pain in the butt and tears up gear. Maybe I wasn't willing to spend enough money for a wire rig so they just focused on what they could easily sell me.

Some fleas will accumulate on wire, but not even close to braid and the wire cuts right through them.  If you get a wire setup, NEVER let the line go slack because it will tangle on the reel like you've never experienced.  Always keep your clicker on so that doesn't happen.  Like said previously, if you get a kink, it will break like a piece of thread, so cut kinks out immediately.  A little curling of the wire is OK.

You might want to consider putting the braid on a spare reel if you have one and get 7 or 19 strand stainless Steel wire (1000 ft.) and fluoro leader right from the get go as fleas are starting to be seen in some places already. Save the braid for the Spring or even later in the Fall when the water temps go down and the fleas go as well and you haven't lost anything...wire can be used year around.... The wire is a good investment all the way around but get a twilli tip for the rod if you don't already have it.  Also (I know others say different) put a small amount (50 ft or so)of 30 lb mono under the wire to protect the spool and reel as suggested to me by Tuna Tom who fixes them (apparently it helps alleviate pressure from the tightening wire and distributes the wire better allowing it to nest more evenly).

Edited by Sk8man

You might want to consider putting the braid on a spare reel if you have one and get 7 or 19 strand stainless Steel wire (1000 ft.) right from the get go as fleas are starting tobe seen in some places already. Save the braid for the Spring or even later in the Fall when the water temps go down and the fleas go as well and you haven't lost anything...wire can be used year around.... The wire is a good investment all the way around but get a twilli tip for the rod if you don't already have it.  Also (I know others say different) put a small amount (50 ft or so)of 30 lb mono under the wire to protect the spool and reel as suggested to me by Tuna Tom who fixes them.

I use electrical tape under mine

Would like to know which shop told you to go with braid. Anyone with any knowledge esp on the east end knows braid will be useless in a week or two. Good Luck

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

just take all but 600' of the braid off and tie on 300' of wire....problem solved.....about 20 bucks have you fixed up

I like that idea. Can you buy a Twili tip for most rods or do you have to buy a rod with the tip already on it? The tackle shop that sold it to me is the biggest one on the East end of the lake. I don't want to cast blame on them because it's possible I just didn't ask the right questions. I've had good luck with this tackle shop in the past regardless of what many others have said about them.

There's nothing wrong with a braid diver - or a mono diver, or wire diver. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Mono divers are great for fishing shallower depths close to the boat. The stretch of the mono helps absorb some of the shock a rampaging fish, but the stretch can make it more difficult to trip a diver from the boat. If you spool up with 30lb mono it will resist flea buildup. It's just not all that useful if the fish are below 50-60 feet deep. Mono diver reels may need to be larger to get adequate line capacity.

Braid divers will go deeper than mono divers, because the small diameter of the braid has less resistance when pulled through the water, however this makes braid very susceptible to water flea buildup on the braid when the fleas are a around. There's no stretch, so when fished shallow the rod and reel drag are the only shock absorbers. Braid might be the best choice if the reels you have are on the smaller size and capacity is a problem. (For instance, some guys may have a set of walleye gear already and want to take a trip or two salmon fishing without investing in new rods and reels).

Because braid is not smooth like mono, removing fleas that accumulate on the line is a PITA. If you have braid divers and the fleas are out full force, you'll probably not want to run them.

Neither mono or braid require rod tip guide modification.

Wire divers reach the greatest depth and have similar characteristics to braid divers with a few notable differences. Fleas don't tend to accumulate as much on wire and the ones that do clean off easily making them flea friendly. The wire tends to cut the flea's hooks that grab the line. This same cutting tendency makes wire tough on rod guides, especially the tip. If you fish more than occasionally, you will want to change the tip on the rod to either a Twili brand tip or one of the many roller tips on the market.

I believe I am somewhat familiar with which shop you received your info at. I once had a discussion about custom rods at this shop and diver rods came up. Braid tends to be the recommendation at this particular shop because it's sort of the middle choice among the three choices. I can understand their viewpoint, though I don't necessarily agree with it.