Pike/Muskies Thousand islands

Going up to wellsley this weekend for the 4th and some fishing.....anybody have tips on pulling in BIG pike...or muskie. I never seem to catch a pike bigger than 7 or 8lbs. I fish large baits, mepps muskie killers. swim baits, rattle traps. Large live minnows. I really want to top the scale with a 10lb or bigger. and would love to get a chance at a nice muskie, Any tips on july fishing for big fish up there? Also want to try for some walleyes and smallies. Thanks, and have a great 4th! 

Big pike prefer cold water . I'd guess you might be fishing too shallow for them. I have only fished the area in November but we catch some bigger pike while targeting muskies over deep water. Maybe try trolling deep diving cranks or use riggers outside the bays, in the main river, that you are catching the small ones in.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ivan is right on the money. As the summer progresses Large northerns move deeper. 25-50 depending on water temp. Typical predator structure with access to deep water is usually a good bet. Fish the deep water ledge. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I frequently fish the river for walleyes in 30-60 fow with riggers, bottom bouncers and deep cranks and almost never catch a pike. I catch some good ones trolling up on the lake but unfortunately the pike fishing on the river has really dropped off. I believe you'd have a much better chance targeting bass and walleyes. I've probably caught a couple incidental pike and one smallish muskie in the last few years while walleye and bass fishing. I do catch some through the ice but seldom over 8 lbs.

There are lots of small to medium pike all around wellesy island and in lake of the isles. You can fill your boat with pike in eel bay. Big ones are tough to come by. The drop offs into deeper water have bigger ones but far fewer numbers. A muskie there is a long shot at best. Like kevin said you may have more fun targeting bass. Worms,minnows,crabs in 25fow will produce 4lb smallies all day. Keep your bait 2-3 feet off bottom to reduce the gobie bite.

Thanks for the reports. We normally hammer the pike...just all small ones. Barely ever reaching 32/34". Eel bay we have put 50 pike on a boat in 4 hours with 2 guys. but they are all about 3 lbs. Any points or good spots to target the bass? I seem to catch perch and pike, but smallies have been far and few between. Thanks again, Good luck to everyone this weekend!

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this, and wanted to mention that a friend caught this pike last year, right near Boldt Castle.

Not sure of the weight, but it was caught late July.  Biggest we've ever caught in that area in the summer!  36" if I recall.

post-155760-0-08215900-1405860394_thumb.jpg

Edited by LizzyBob

There are tons of small to medium pike all around the castle,if you can stand the traffic. There's always one or two in the creek mouth behind bolt castle's boathouse. If you need to entertain some family try casting in and around millionaire's row. Your guests can gawk at the yachts and mansions while you catch a bunch of small pike. And wherever there are lots of small ones a big one shows up now and then.