hot lures from the past

post-144987-0-57952300-1407977369_thumb.jpgI pulled some of my favorites out of the box to share with you.

left to right stinger,holley angels clearwater(smelt),evil eye stinger above is the Dick Treat special,small glow dodger with glow fly,with small silver horde which set above the flasher (chasing postion)was a killer combo for summer kings.Took more kings with this than any other lure

I have most of the same in my boxes and still fish them but I am partial to the evil eyes. Still my all time favorite. Nowadays use predominately flasher fly combos. This past trip i did go back to past patterns to try to make something happen just a tough year. Do you still fish them?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I still catch fish with them but they like it slower and my searay doesnt like slow.I wonder how many guys use silver hordes with flasher flies still.they get most of my matures with most hits on the horde.trick with them is to keep the hooks very sharp and then they dont get away.Im going to take my smaller boat 19 gls fully equiped out soon to fish my holley angels again,caught my 38 lber on the green one in pic in 1992.

I think there is a lot to be said for trying the "old school" approaches these days John. Glad to see there are still a few of us "dinosaurs" alive and well (physically at least :lol: ).  I still use the occasional dodger and squid approach and I still have a bunch of J plugs including the silver ones ...."just in case" :)

I used some pretty "wild" stuff back in the 70''s and 80's These dodger squid pics are a small example :lol: Note that the red dodger near the top has a hook on it...used when salmon were hitting the dodger....caught a salmon with it first time used but afterward it started tangling up so I quit)

Some of the old "favorites" lures from then:

Top row: jointed J plug and Lindy popper with extra "insert" tail

Second row (from left)  J Plug Silver Hoardes, ladderback Pirate 28's, Fire Tiger Daredevle EvilEye, Medium size and small Evil Eyes (note the bunch of teeth marks on the small one...was on both sides), Flutterdevle spoon, Sutton West River with glitter polish, Medium Andy Reeker, Acme Looter, unknown spoon - caught many salmon

post-145411-0-67831900-1408025435_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-21314800-1408025970_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

do you run the plug on stacked rod? or on a fixed slider?

[i have better luck with a fixed cheater locked with a rubber band into a roamer or other suitable release.Stackers work but its more likely youll tangle the top rod(silver horde )if the king hits the flasher.Lost a nice fish sunday doing just that.

Most of my hits were always on the plug,sometimes the king will hit both and have a mouthful of hooks./quote]

I think there is a lot to be said for trying the "old school" approaches these days John. Glad to see there are still a few of us "dinosaurs" alive and well (physically at least :lol: ).  I still use the occasional dodger and squid approach and I still have a bunch of J plugs including the silver ones ...."just in case" :)

I used some pretty "wild" stuff back in the 70''s and 80's These dodger squid pics are a small example :lol: Note that the red dodger near the top has a hook on it...used when salmon were hitting the dodger....caught a salmon with it first time used but afterward it started tangling up so I quit)

Some of the old "favorites" lures from then:

Top row: jointed J plug and Lindy popper with extra "insert" tail

Second row (from left)  J Plug Silver Hoardes, ladderback Pirate 28's, Fire Tiger Daredevle EvilEye, Medium size and small Evil Eyes (note the bunch of teeth marks on the small one...was on both sides), Flutterdevle spoon, Sutton West River with glitter polish, Medium Andy Reeker, Acme Looter, unknown spoon - caught many salmon

I bought about thirty of the Andy Reeker spoons four years ago.  All sizes and all colors.  I have never used one and they sit in a box in my garage.  I'm always trying the stingers, dream weavers, NK's and those kinds  of spoons. Maybe I should give them a try.  I have blue, green, yellow and orange colors mixed with silver. How are these Reekers?

Wow talk about a blast from the past, seeing those rubber squids and dodgers took me back to the good old days! I still have alot of that tackle and still use it,  I just never talk about it , Didn't want to give up my age!(LOL) Thanks Les