Downrigger weights

I could use some help. I am currently using 13 lbs. pancakes. My boat has an 8' beam. I have 4 mag 10s. When on the big lake. I can never use all 4 I usually will only run 3 of them. My problem is my cables gettin crossed up. Which style should I try to prevet this and with the right ones will I be able to run all 4 downriggers. Before I buy a speed/temp unit I would like to solve this problem. On another front in responce to my intro. posting here is the sight for a reasonable saltwater charter I mate for if anyone is interested.( mysite.verizon.net/fishhuntermike ) if anyone has any questions you call pm me. Thanks

I too run 4 downriggers with an 8ft beam. I run 13 lb torpedos on my center riggers and 13 lb pancake weights on the corners. My pancake weights have the fin bent approx. 15 degrees to make them track away from the boat. I have never had my riggers cross. If your riggers cross with bent fins on the pancake weights you are probably have the fins bent the wrong direction. Good luck!

Brian(Goin Deep)

pancakes are a huge pain in the arse. If you want to run them on the outside u need to bend the fins so they wont swim as much. On the back riggers you need to switch to regualr cannon balls. You shuold look into the ridgeback rattlers or the sharks as they run pretty true down deep with out the swiming action of a pancake.

I could use some help. I am currently using 13 lbs. pancakes. ...... My problem is my cables gettin crossed up.

....what the others said and also be sure not to attach your releases to the fin of the pancakes. With your releases attached to the back of the weight the tension on the line will tend to steer the weight as you tighten up on the rod to load your set :shock: . Attach to the cable so the weight can track without interference.

BTW....I have 2 pancakes I'd sell if anyone is interested. Pickup only, will not ship ;( .

Thanks a bunch. This is good news to me. :D I will try bending the fins to get them to swim away from the boat I already have extra cannonballs. One thing I see I was doing wrong. I was attaching my release to the fin on the pancake weight. I would imagine the cannonball weight will be fine with a probe.

Very seldom ever run 4 riggers at a time now. But when I do I use the Cabelas 12# black directional on the outdowns, and fish an inverted V on the 2 center riggers. Can't remember the last time I've had cables cross using this method.

I have an eight foot beam as well. 19' Smokercraft Ultima. I run the 13# torpedoes from A-TOM-MIC on all four riggers without any issues. My father (god love him) has turned my boat on a dime while trolling and I have never crossed lines or cables.

Now that being said we will probably cross something this year just because I said this.

Tight lines all