Ethanol free vs premium containing no ethanol?

apb

I have run regular 87 octane with ethanol on all my outboards for the last 15 years without ever having a problem. Just make sure that your fuel hoses are ethanol resistant (They all are since 2000) and that your tank is clean of dirt because ethanol will loosen dirt in your tank and send it to the carbs. Always top off your tank after using the boat and at the end of the season. Make sure to properly winterize.

There is a problem with large tanks that are left half empty over time because of condensation in the tank,but the same problem exists with regular gasoline.

I use 87 octane non ethanol gas in my 1984 mercruiser because that engine was built with regular gas in mind.

What really irks me is that the only people who are pro ethanol are the corn farmers and their o so powerful lobby in Washington. Both the democrats and the republicans have tried to stop this heavily subsidized boondoggle. Ethanol is way more expensive than gasoline and yet the farmers lobby shoves it down our throats. It drives up the food prices.

The time has come to stop the ethanol subsidies and use corn what it was intended for namely sour mash whisky!

Where are you getting 87 octane non ethanol? Just about all gas stations and every marina only carry 91 high octane non ethanol now. The gas stations that used to carry 87 octane have switched to 91 octane non ethanol. I'm don't know why this has changed, but I'm sure it has something to do with profit on the distributor's end. That 91 non ethanol octane is costing a heck of a lot more than the 87 octane non ethanol at the pump.

Edited by MikeyP

Anyone know of any marinas carrying 87 octane non ethanol? Every marina I know only carries 91 octane non ethanol. We are paying a premium for non ethanol octane the way it is now and 91 octane is adding a lot more to that price.

Edited by MikeyP

There is a gas station in Pittsford/ Monroe county just east of the railroad tracks that sells 87 89 and 91 octane all ethanol free. The guy is on a crusade against ethanol and he does a booming business.

Most Fastrac has stations now sell 87 non ethanol fuel now just look for the blue pump. Costs a bit more but much better for any motor. I had a '94 Evinrude outboard that popped itself twice. After the second time it blew I went to a different mechanic and he said that running the 91-93 octane in a carbureted motors is deadly cause it leans them out to much and the oil pumps can inject enough to stabilize the mixture which results in burning a piston up. Now with my new Evinrude direct injected he said always run 91 non ethanol in it which most marinas have to carry non ethanol fuel due to state regulations. It just sucks cause it cost double what we get it at the pump for. As for the mixture in the tankers that deliver the fuel, they mix the ethanol as they are filling the tanker and they don't follow any ratio so some times it may be 10% or it can be more or less. If I were to upgrade my boat in the future I think I will go diesel cause there really isn't any guessing.

I dont think it comes in 87 for no ethanol. Marina gas is usually old anyways, avoid it if you can.

Agree, but old non ethanol fuel is less of a problem than old ethanol fuel.