Okuma drags

Matt I'm going to dig around on this. The ONLY reel I've heard having drag issues when new was the first run Coldwaters.

Seriously?

The first run of Convectors all had faulty drags. First run of Coldwaters all had faulty drags.

Just do a simple google searched titled "okuma drag" and nothing more.....you'll come across page after page of message board reports from people who have had okuma drag issues.

now, yes, the tekota 700's and 800's also had major drag issues as well.....so its not just okuma.

i own 20 something 500's and 600's (tekota) without an issue with a single one.

but the single smoothest drag I have is my saltist. Diawa just has it right with their drags...too bad their line counters are junk.

Edited by steve-hamilton

Seriously?

The first run of Convectors all had faulty drags. First run of Coldwaters all had faulty drags.

Just do a simple google searched titled "okuma drag" and nothing more.....you'll come across page after page of message board reports from people who have had okuma drag issues.

now, yes, the tekota 700's and 800's also had major drag issues as well.....so its not just okuma.

i own 20 something 500's and 600's (tekota) without an issue with a single one.

but the single smoothest drag I have is my saltist. Diawa just has it right with their drags...too bad their line counters are junk.

Yes Steve, "seriously."   All I can share is my experience. My credibility in the fishing industry is highly regarded. I've fished professionally for 31 yrs and work  with several of the highest regarded companies around. I moved over to Okuma in 2000, BECAUSE of drag issues with another big name reel co. Soon after, Okuma devoured market share in the Great Lakes market primarily due to complacency by some of the other companies. Now, if you enjoy some other brands upgrades in recent years its because they stepped up their game. Still, all of them have issues of some kind or another. My experience was never with the economy lines like Magda but the convectors were excellent in 2000, and several other lines were launched catering to the Great Lakes, Catalina, Clarion, and even the 55L Solterra answering the anglers requests for a powerful high capacity copper reel.

My reels--all Okuma consist of 20D Convectors for lightline Spring shoreline fishing(many a King hooked along the way--excellent drags) 30 Catalinas of both vintages the early silver ones and the gold trimmed da models are used for most everything else, riggers, wire divers included. Leadcores are primarily fished on Clarion 553's--a high speed reel that also sports a great drag. This reel is also excellent for coppers up to 300' sections. 400' coppers and up go on Solterra 55Ls.  I also have a set of rigger rods with Clarion 453's for when conditions dictate a high speed reel.

From April through early October we will be on the lake nearly every day and will also fish 10 tournaments this year(some in Canada), I invite you stop down to the docks at anytime and ask for one of my outfits and give it the ole "pull check" if you'd like. None of my reels have ever been sent to Tuna Toms but I wouldnt hesitate to do so if needed. Many of my associates have sent their reels there, and many of them have been the brands you favor.

Now, we practice 2 disciplines that prevent the vast majority of drag issues--1) Every single reel is stored with the drags fully relaxed at all times. I learned this in the 80's with the sealines--they would set up and chatter if you put them away tightened up. 2) we do not leave our rods/reels out in the weather. Everywhere we go we see outfits baking in the sun and getting soaked in the rain. Ours are only out when out fishing.

Like I said I'm going to dig into the issues the OP had, but my experiences with drags in the above models have been the best I've ever experienced with Great Lakes reel. Good luck on the water.     

well, you can only report your experience.

all I can say is, good thing okuma takes back reels, no questions asked.

i started using Tekota's in 2004, only four years after you started using Okuma's.

I also fish in the rain and the sun --- my reels will certainly sit in tough conditons. So my reels are often taking abuse. I also fish Quinte in December....when the Okuma's were freezing due to their poor sealing.

there is a reason the vast majority of sponsered okuma anglers sell their reels every couple seasons....and a quick check on any of the used message boards supports this. very few daiwa's or tekota's for sale...tons of okuma's.

btw, I'm not sponsered by anyone...and I pay 100% full price for my tackle....

like you, I can only report my experience.

soon we'll be out putting our reels to the test again....

Vince- excellent point you mentioned about backing off drags! I see alot of anglers that don't do this -regardless of the manufacturer it is important.  Also proper care and maintenance- reel oil does wonders.

I have owned just about every manufactures reels designed for the great lakes also - been fishing L.O. since i was 8 years old.All manufacturers have some "corks" either past or present. I owned Daiwa Sealines for years, then moved to shimano charter specials, back to Daiwa sealines, penn gti's, then Shimano Tekota (500lc - 800) then sold them and now for past 2 seasons been Okuma. Have 38 okuma's currently and have not had any issues with them. Convector 20  linecounters, Catalina 30da, Clarion 553's and Solterra for copper.

i have no experience with the coldwater or magda line of Okuma but i can say that i have had no issues with any of my Okuma's. No upgrades made to them, just routine maintenance and care. I am very satisifed with them and no plans on switching reels back to another manufacturer.

Vince makes some great points especially about backing off the drags and potential weather related issues (leaving them out in it etc.) and if anyone here has intensive and extensive experience with the equipment it is him. In reflecting on this issue it seems that most of us including me may have some strong opinions about what we feel works ( or doesn't) and we tend to "personalize" our own experiences and think they may be very solid all encompassing views when in fact they may not be. Misdemeanor is right....this posting is (and should be) more about experiences with good reel repair than a complaint about personal experiences with specific brands of reels....I plead guilty and suggest we move on :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Ive already posted this twice....here it is one more time.... This post is not an Okuma bash....its about good service i got from Tuna Toms....

Sent from my VS980 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Maybe you should have titled it Tuna Tom instead of Okuma drags.....Just saying, your from Rochester so I understand..

As Matt stated -Tuna tom does excellent work! he did all my old sealines and i know alot of anglers that have used him -all with great feedback. Any issues with any manufacturers reels - he is the one to go to.

For my two cents on this thread that may be only worth half as much, I run all cheap Okuma Magda's on my boat. Never have I had an issue with the drags skipping and  hanging up. Are they the smoothest ?

Absolutely not!!! But I have never lost a fish due to drag Issues. I do do as Captain Vince says- back off drags when not in use.  If a reel does develop drag problems it won't be going to Tuna Toms but in the garbage and replaced with a another econo reel from Okuma. If it lasts 4-5 years I'm ahead.