How to add charging to manual-start Merc 9.9 4 stroke?

Gill-T

I just went through this with a guy a few years ago, part#856558a2'. I think all mercury 9.9 to 15hp 4 strokes can us this cord, the hard part is finding the end, it seems expensive for a extension cord but it had 4 diodes to change from ac. to dc. current. Check out Iboat. Mercury 9.9 four stroke alternator page 1. The local dealer around here didn't even know it exists, after I ordered one he stocked a few also. Hope this helps as I dug for hours and stumbled across this myself. I actually was going to make it but I couldn't figure out how I was going to get a rectifier incorporated in the harness, money well spent.

On a similar note .....and probably only a dream....is there a way to add charging capability to my 1986, 40 elec Yamaha ( Merc Mariner ) ? The engine runs as brand new, but lugging batterires to charge too often is getting to be a little much for this " seasoned " fisherman. And she will not  help with this part of fishing !

So I am reading that the 9.9 will only produce 6 amps at full throttle and the small amount of charge happening at trolling speed may not help anything.  What are you seeing PAP on yours?

Well according to manual, the charging system was designed to replace what the starter used out of the battery, not much, like 6 amp at operating speed, very little at an idle.

So it seems that a charging system will not really help with my downrigger power.  What is needed is something between the battery and the riggers that help supply a consistent source of amps.  Does any product out there do this?

That fits with my understanding too you have to be really cranking speed-wise to be charging the battery to any significant degree. Idling and slow trolling speeds won't do anything significant to charge the battery.

• 4 months later...

I went to the trouble of fixing my 6 amp charging system on my 7.5 Honda that I troll with and it does charge, but not enough at trolling speeds as it is a very simple diode only, variable voltage system, non voltage regulated.  I always carry an extra deep cycle battery unconnected, as a backup for the starting battery that the down riggers run off from. In the event that they run the starting batt down to low, I can connect the spare deep cycle  and get started. One thing I have noticed with my Fishhawk X4 is that when my starting battery gets low, the fishhawk starts acting up. When I connect the deep cycle standby battery, the fishhawk straightens up. Now when I say the start battery is low, it still has enough in it to crank the 88hp Evenrude but the drop effects the fishhawk. I don't carry batterys to charge them, I run extension cords and carry charger to boat.

• 1 month later...

I use 6 amp charging system on my main battery from engine. Use a a big deep cycle for the downrigger and electric motor. All day no problems. Between the two batteries I use a Battery Switch which allows for which battery I wish to charge and wish I wish to use. Spin around the lake for 30-45 minutes pretty-much bring the main deep cycle back to full charge.

Anyway, both batterys go-on charge once I get home. Or in a pinch, I;ll jump the batterie(s) from the car. All depends how long I'm out and how often I use the big-draw items, mainly the electric 60lb thrust motor. Works for me as I have yet to have a battery problem..oh I do carry a small Min Kota battery charge indicator which willl give me an instant reading of charge condition.

This year I got to use my boat a few times, what I noticed is I run a 15hp Evinrude long shaft and to push my boat "22ft cuddy" I need to run my motor hard enough that I would think that it would be putting out the full 6. amps. One another note I carry 3 batteries and I run 130amp alt, which I made, at at 1000 rpm it puts out 67amp so when my finder shows 11volts I just fire up the main adjust to 1000rpm and let it run for 45-to an hour and I'm all charged up, we put 7 to 9hrs out on the water and I only needed to do this once a day. I'm happy with my decision, would I go through putting a charging system on a motor used as a kicker "no" used as electric start as a main on a smaller scale boat using or a small boat used on a lake or river not as a kicker or if you use it for multiple reasons.

I use the six amp regulated on my merc 9.9 type M. And yes, four amp output will kick in at about half throttle 3K..and increase from there and max 6 Amp at about 5300 RPM (appx 3/4 throttle).

However, I believe CDI made and may still make a 9-10 amp set-up which includes a stator. But I say 6 Amps is better than 0 Amps and as others have said, I too run two batteries. The big deep cycle for the 60lb thrust electric, downrigger and bilge pump. The main for all other light draw stuff. Both batteries have a small trickle charge solarpanel and both batteries are removed and kept charged at home using a 'smart charger'.