sub troll location

salmonite

dumb question but not sure where it would be the best to mount my sub troll or any speed and temp unit.  You guys like your sub troll at the helm or a location at the back of the boat.  i would still be able to see from helm if mounted in back

Edited by salmonite

i made a dash plate and have my Fish Finder, Auto pilot, and Speed/Temp all together. I like it because its all right together. When trolling you have to look forward (for other boats and waves etc) and also at rods. Regardless of crew size 95% of the time i notice a fish hit first (rigger/dispey/copper) before anyone else. its more of a personal preference

post-144505-0-33984800-1429113444_thumb.jpg

I'm not constantly watching my down speed/temp or any of my electronics for that matter. Once you get the right speed and temp you're normally looking back at rods.  I have mine mounted up at the helm with the rest of my electronics.  I did this so later on if I add drop curtains I don't need to constantly keep removing it. The amount I'm watching in front of me depends on location and boat traffic.

I actually moved my Depth Raider from my dash to my downrigger and prefer it in the back.   Boat traffic permitting, I find that once the autopilot and speed is set I spend most of my time in the back watching/tending rods, and I adjust downrigger depth more often to keep my lures in temperature than adjusting speed.....particularly before the thermocline sets up or otherwise varies.  I can still easily see the speed from the helm when I do adjust speed.

The Depth Raider is splash proof so weather is not an issue.

post-144858-0-41958800-1429139703_thumb.jpg