I've run it in my downrigger holders with the regular rod tip.  I just make sure the rod is at 45 degrees to the water.  If you are running it out of dipsey holders with the rod near 90 degrees to the back of the boat, I would think it might cause problems.

You don't need either but also set your drag so the copper holds but would go out with even something small (fairly loose drag compared with say downriggers.

You don't need either but also set your drag so the copper holds but would go out with even something small (fairly loose drag compared with say downriggers.

And to further what Les is saying, really make sure you loosen the drag a good deal after you let out the copper, because you will have it cranked down pretty tight to reel it in without a fish on, just to hurry the process along.  I know I have been guilty of not checking the drag on my 400 copper after letting it out, and then a big salmon comes along and steals my spoon, because copper has absolutely no stretch.  The rod guides do not get cut from copper, because it is such a soft metal, and will not wear grooves into your guide.  Thanks.

Edited by John Kelley

Nope.....Copper wont pig tail like wire....I have numerous rods set up with varying lengths of copper. No twillies needed... Very good advice, especially about checking your drag. Long coppers are a P.I.T.A to bring in. They might not be "stud" set ups for numbers, but my bigger fish each season tend to come on them..... Tight lines.....

• 3 weeks later...