SLR eyes

Kevin J Legg

Although there was a lot of floating green moss today and a great del of current, we still managed to catch two walleyes and drop one. One was 19" and the other around 24". Also picked up a smallmouth on a deep diver. I even ran up above the bridge and caught one just for Prof T.

Kevin,

Yea the current was rippin yesterday. On the water by 5:30 AM and could only put two smallies in the boat from my best walleye run. (Bottom bouncer and olive thunderstick)

Went back out last night with a taxidermist friend who's camping at Grasse. Decent number of fishermen out after being socked in with the rain. Picked up six, lost two. Only brought home two as two were short, one keeper took a flop off of my "Rod and Reel" measuring tape on the side of the boat and the last one is in the picture below...28" released after photo. (34 FOW, 1.6 speed over ground, 8 oz bb, pearl ghost flash madflash t stick)

Kevin, got a house full for the 4th but I'd like to get together next week if you've got an empty night. Need to say thanks for the help getting started.

Prof T

post-156305-0-97336100-1435664293_thumb.jpg

Just thinking of targeting eyes on the SLR near Morristown. Why not dipsies? I did not see your design for magnum b-bouncers? I have two power pro spun rods for dipsies would they not work ? Headed up on 6/30 for the week any help would be great. Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ron,

Disclaimer: I've got exactly 6 weeks experience fishing these things and what I've learned is that it's a very precise way of following bottom contour and knowing exactly where your bait is. It's not a good way to cover lots of water.

My 6 inch 1/2" copper tubes filled w/ lead weigh about 8 oz.

good luck!

post-156305-0-74585200-1435667817_thumb.jpg

post-156305-0-06482100-1435667887_thumb.jpg

I don't believe dipsey divers will work in the current. I have caught some off riggers but heavy bottom bouncers are more precise. Also deep divers off long lines can work on shallower fish or for suspended fish. My bottom bouncers weigh nearly a pound in weight . Just made up seven more yesterday! A foot of wire above the weight also reduces zebra mussel cut off of the braid.

!Prof T , we have. House full also. Give me a shout after this weekend Nd perhaps we can get together next week.

I've caught them on jigging spoons and on heavy bucktails tipped with worm or leech using controlled drift with bow mount electric. Also caught them drifting worm and spinner. Strong current does change everything. I'm not sure if sonars would work in 30 fow or more with heavy current. Perhaps at night when they can move into shallow water but they still like the current.

Edited by Kevin J Legg

Way to go Kevin and Prof T . I have not been down to the river in a week or two due to weather and graduations, I am hoping to try it Thursday morning weather permitting and most of the weekend. I will let you know how I fair, maybe run into you one of the mornings or evenings, tight lines and good luck, keep them coming in.

Excellent job guys, that's a lot of pure dedication and some engineering, those bottom bouncers look awesome Prof.T, like Kevin stated, take the 90* bend up at least a foot above your top cap and that will be Dynamite!!! I like them so much I'm going to make some. Thanks for the pic. That was very nice of you.

Edited by pap

I use to make the right angle bend in the wire but now I don't bother. Simply use a straight piece of wire inside lead pipe and fill pipe with molten lead. A foot of wire leader above the weight to swivel and the braid. Floro leader off the top of the weight.

Pap,

Last batch I didn't solder the bottom cap on and none at all on the top. Made a rack to hold em upright (3/4 hole counterbored into a 2x4) with a hole for the wire all the way through.

While pouring I held the wire centered till the lead set up. Once cooled, I could twist the cap off of the bottom so I could reuse them the next time. Keep in mind copper is a very good conductor of heat so don't rush.

Retired shop teachers are crafty and CHEAP!

Cheers

Pap,Last batch I didn't solder the bottom cap on and none at all on the top. Made a rack to hold em upright (3/4 hole counterbored into a 2x4) with a hole for the wire all the way through.While pouring I held the wire centered till the lead set up. Once cooled, I could twist the cap off of the bottom so I could reuse them the next time. Keep in mind copper is a very good conductor of heat so don't rush.Retired shop teachers are crafty and CHEAP!Cheers

Thanks for the heads up from both of you guys, Kevin you just make a loop at the top and that's it? So your main line hooks to the top loop and the leader just snaps to the wire, like a free slider kind of??

I make a wire loop at the top of the weight and run a 1 foot wire leader above that and then attach that to a swivel and the braid.( all one straight line) The leader attaches to either the loop on top of the weight of the swivel a foot higher up with a snap swivel. If you tie directly to the weight without the foot of wire leader the mussels will sometimes cut even 60 # braid. Believe me, I've lost many over the years and you loose both weights and lures!

Edited by Kevin J Legg

Gotcha, thanks buddy!!! Did you guys get the monsoons up there as we did, wow did we get wind and rain, an actuall tornado touched down about a mile from us, pretty damn scary, I've never in all my life saw the sky as black and weird looking grayish clouds hanging down like a giant spiderweb, I bet we got 5 inches of rain from 3:pm till 3:am this morning, I didn't sleep a wink last night. You know something is wrong when the dog is acting strange, being a beagle he's not bothered by the loud thunder but he just sat between the girls and wouldn't move, they can sence when something is wrong, I'm convinced of that!!