Auto Pilot for Rotary Steering

longbow

Just took delivery of a Penn Yan Avenger.  Has rotary steering in it and want to put an auto pilot in it.  My old boat had hydraulic steering with a Garmin GPS matched to a Ray Marine 1000s and it workd very well "most of the time".  So what system do you all recommend for the Penn Yan and who installs them that is reliable?  I fish out of Hughes.  thanks

PS  did a search and all that and frankly don't know that much about auto pilots other than the fact on my Pro Line you turned it on, linked with the GPS and off you went

I have a Raymarine Evolution 200 with a 70R control head paired with a Sport Pilot to turn the wheel and hooked up to a a67 chart/sonar.  The Sport Pilot is hard to find now, but its the best combo there is.  If you cant find it as a package, your next best bet is to look into an octopus helm and pair it up with another system.  

That is what I have heard about the Octopus system.  They make an Intellasteer system too but don't know if you can pair with any GPS systems.  I've a Lowarance HDS 5 chart/plotter. I've also a Garmin GPS on my old boat I might pull off and use just for the GPS function.  Anyways thanks for responding.  

Also, note the new autopilots are NEMA 2000 and hooking them to your older NEMA 0183 GPS etc. is probably not straight forward. I;m no expert but am currently going through this as I just installed an Evolution 200 and am thinking it may be best to get a new NEMA 2000 GPS.

I was thinking of that Mackeral.  I don't know how hard that would be to do, but if Dick did it it couldn't be that hard!  I think I would need a new ram though.  I will look into it for sure though.  Hey did you read my text I sent to ya on the fella that you towed in last Fri.  Dragged his outdrive up the ramp and across the parking lot.  F'd his prop up too.  I was yellling to him but kind of ignored me or maybe didn't hear me.  thanks

2 grand to steer my boat.  Holy crap.  Not out of the realm of possibility but 2 grand.  There has got to be an easier way that is near as good.  Intellisteer by Octopus is what I have been looking at but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  thanks

I've been debating same thing. I was quoted 2500-3000 to have octopus set up installed (parts and labor). Cost to switch to hydraulic was twice by the time I got done. I fish allot but could not justify that. I just bought a 9.9 pro kicker and putting a panther t4 with it. Now for $3500 I'll save ton of wear and tear on the main motor, save $30-$50 a trip out with fuel economy, and have a back up in case of emergency (which I already could have used). Now I can't put in a waypoint and go, but I can take my son fishing and with a remote keep her straight. I should get motor and panther unit end of next week, hopefully it's a useful as I hope.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app