oneida lake

Jakob5pennies

first time on oneida lake, have never fished it before took an old friend with me no fish but a great day. while on the lake there was a boat speeding about with a shotgun shooting black ducks . but once and a wile they were heading straight at us and shooting really made us a little edgy is this a common way to hunt?

No it is not. 1st off the season is closed for ducks. 2nd it is illegal to shoot waterfowl from a powered vessel. If you see this again please call dec and get these pricks arrested

Sent from my LGLS990 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

it is not illegal to shoot waterfowl from a powered vessel. it is illegal to shoot waterfowl from a vessel that is under power and in motion. My guess is more likely they were harassing cormorants but that's still illegal. Are you sure they were shooting ducks? (black ducks aren't so much truly black as much as they resemble a dark hen mallard). Either way, report them next time. they give the rest of us a bad name.

Edited by WoodyBoater

Can't get over the balls someone has to do something like that... I think every square inch of onieda can be seen from someone's house, let alone I bet Jacob probably saw at least one other boat out there. For someone to be out there breaking the law so blatantly over some cormorants makes yea wonder if maybe alcohol wasn't also involved....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

yes that is what they are called cormorants,they would drive around till they but one in flight and punch the throttle and shoot it down . they did pick them up but made us a little nevus as they speed towards us shooting. crazy stuff.next time i will call don't hunt waterfowl and didn't know.

It is legal to kill up to 35 cormorants a day if you have a special permit from the dec i have buddies who do it in Irondequoit bay. They just shot 35 last tuesday evening. I however dont think it is legal to shoot any type of waterfowl from a motorized vessel unless the motor is locked up out of the water. That is how it use to be but i dont own a motorized duck boat anymore so im not totally sure what the rule is now

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by bondouley