Downrigger weights

justtracytrolling

Even though this is strictly for eyes, there were some reports of hits and nobody home, after inspecting their flashers they found scratch marks from other fish teeth. So evidently they weren't interested in the bait. Hmm, I thought that maybe those flashy fish shaped weights may take the focus off the bait and follow the ball until the fish is no longer interested and drop away totally. I painted my weights flat black. I thought I wanted the fish to key onto the bait and that's all. I could be totally all wet but to me and some other, we decided on black for for the eyes and the rest of the species???

Justin I personally don't think you need sharks, if you went with the torpedos, with your new riggers you should be able to run 14/16lbs from Harvey they are sweet, your lake is similar to our home town lake, I ran 12#ers at 3mph for stripers with no problems. But if you want "sharks" then have at it. My buddy and I ran side by side he has sharks and I had the torpedos in equal weights and there was no differance, other than I had beer money and he didn't, yes they are nice looking all Crome and chiseled out like a old arrow head. If your going to paint them black it's your choice, best of luck with what ever you choose.

Edited by pap

Justin if you want nice shark type weights in custom colors check out those by bikinibottom on here. I've had three of them (black) and they work great. Some of his paint jobs are really cool too and his prices are fair and below the sharks by quite a bit. Harvey O'Hara (troutman87) also makes great torpedo weights like Pap said.

post-145411-0-49330000-1453508743_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

When I first set up for Oneida Lake in the mid 80's, I bought a pair of used Cannon Dual cranks from a shooting friend that had a bunch of years ahead of me. The weights he gave me he called "herbies". They were 10 pound fish shaped and he had them painted chartreuse. My dad and I caught a pile of fish behind them. Ran them like that for 6 - 7 years.

As I went from 2 to 4 riggers, I also felt that was too much flash packed in a small area. Toned everything down to dull greens and browns. I think it was a toss up for us. There were days I'd mix some bright ones back in when it was slow. Didn't think it hurt. Keep in mind everything there was running within 3 to 7 feet off the bottom in only 30 ft of water.  

Yea Les, those are nice they look like they have that chiseled look, like the main brand "shark" thanks for the pic. Mine are up in the cuddy, I was thinking the same {pic}

I picked up there "fish" shaped 10lbrs at the LOTSA flea market last year for 20 or 30bucks for all of them. They are green, I tried them and the opted for all back so I hit them with spray plasti-dip. They track much better than the canon balls with significantly less blow back in the 30-70 fow I fished last year. Good luck, I was kicking around the idea of putting some chrome ladders on them.......

For walleye I have ran the natural lead silver look and the black either way it didn't effect my catch rate. You will run long enough leaders that it shouldn't influence the fish's decision. Black weights are more easily seen in muddy/dirty water vs florescent/bright colors. So if you want it to act as an attractor go with the chrome.

Edited by Chas0218

Any color will work as long as it's black.. Just my opinion. I've got orange and chartreuse shark weights, but always seem to do best with my 10# round black weights. I rarely troll over 2 mph, so blowback isn't really a problem. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

They say chrome are good for actively feeding/aggresive fish. Otherwise you want black. Most of the time a fish needs to be enticed to bite, so I think black is the safest.

Having said that, you could always by chrome and then paint black if you change your mind. It isn't that hard, just use a rubber coating.

Also, I agree, I don't think sharks will put much more fish in the boat. We use Torpedoes and have placed in top 10 in a few tournaments.

Good discussion. I spent a lot of time trolling g in Lake Erie out of Erie PA or Barcelona with my old boat. Had 2 down riggers both with black round balls. One side had a prism silver stickers on the fin. It was interesting to note that there were days when one worked better than the other. I tried running same lure on both with different drop back distances. It was hard to pattern.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app