Getting serious about Dipseys. What to get next?

7strand 30lb is fine for kings.. alot of guys use 20lb also.. the 30 seems to be more user freindly .. the twilli tips can be put on at the boat without a problem.. u will need some sort of glue or epoxy to fasten them on the rods.. as for connecting your wire to the dipsey.. buy some large sampo swivels and use the wire knot to attach them http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm .. then from your dipsey attach your leader to your bait

Get black or clear ones.

I like the transparent snubbers.

when you tie up your leaders {between dipsey and lure]

be sure its not so long you cant net the fish.

Buy the strongest rodholders you can find. Flush mount are best.

Keep the wire tight. I like to spool mine out on the lake. At trolling speed let the line out with a 1lb weight then spool it back on the reel. 1000 ft is a lot of cranking but its easier than trying to get out a birdnest.

Check to end of the wire daily for burrs and cut it off and retie regularly.

Keep the wire out of the prop.it makes it kinky and hard to tie.

Lots more to add here but I cant think of any more.

Thread a large 10 mm plastic bead onto the wire before attaching the cross lock swivel.

The bead acts as a bumper for the swivel so you can reel the diver right to the twili tip and not have the swivel jam into the tip.

H.I.H.

hey give me a call this weekend and ill show you what we run. dipseys have been the system the last few years here. i think they might be even out fishing the riggers. twili is a must and a sinch to put on heat up the rod eye and pull off. super glue the twili on.

pm you my phone number

I put a piece of old snubber above the bead, this allows you to crank the swivel to the tip and keep pressure on the wire. Some reels do not have a positive lock on the spool when you crank them up and they will back off a little. I cut about a 2" picece and slide it on the wire then bead and then tie the knot. It is time for the divers to start, bring on the big boys. Good Luck.

Rich

1000ft spool of wire. I use Mason brand..

Theres probably other stuff out there just as good.

I was looking over my Berts rodholders and they are looking questionable after only a few years.Getting a little side slop. Wire hits are vicious. Its sometimes hard to get the rods out of the rodholders when the fish is running.

Did skipper19 set you up for this ?(private joke) with a dypsy 99.99999% of the people who use wire for for them use the 7 braid 20,40 or most common 30#test wire.1000ft not yards approx 15 thousands dia stainless.NOT COPPER (sorry) copper is something you let out behind your boat and have someone reel it in every time one of your riggers goes off then you can wave to anybody who gets close to the back of your boat .if your still confused just give me a call on my cell 607 769 7947..............Ray K. opps i just noticed your from pensultucky,youall need some edubacation from us newyorkskys on this dypsy stuff crank up the phone and tell magie to connect you with my number and ill have you jigging for browns in no time.Feel free to call and ill try to help.

Hey....it ain't no private joke no more..everybody knows where the 45lb outhouse wirin' in Lyntucky went...and theyz all p/o'd at me fer usin it ta drag in blowboats. :roll: Wire is wire and copper is heavy and sinks fast ifn' ya wanna get down deep close in...I haul dipseies around with it wit nary a problem....except fer the huge biceps groin' like popeye the sailer..and guess what it catches the fishys tooo :shock:

Now tear me up Ray but be gentile OK :$

GB,

You should not take any offence from my NY friends. We certainly appreciate the $$ that you spend when you come up here. You know that there are some effective techniques that have been named after some PA fishermen that have come up here to fish. In fact, one of the most famous the "mup rig" is named after a PA fisherman who shared in the early practice of a mag spoon cheater 6' above a mini streak. He would use the phrase "come up here" so much that it began to sound like "come mupear" then we shortened it to just "mupear" and finally simply "mup".

SOOO if you are around a port and you hear folks talking ever so fondly about the "mupear's" you now know to whom we are affectionately referring.

Finally, even though we do not admit it, many of us proud central and western NYrs have a pennsyltukian in our woodpile -- if you know what I'm saying!! We really are not that different -- just that our ancestors evolved quicker and moved north earlier. The farther north -- the more evolved --up to about the 43' 25"N, then it goes back the other way again.

Your friend,

CC