Cracked trim cylinder!

iceman05

So I uncovered the rig today. Only to find my trim cylinder had cracked over winter. From looking online it seems all mercury motors tend to have faulty seals and have a lot of problems cracking. Some say it's covered by Merc and others have not been so lucky. I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem and do I call a shop or take a chance on a eBay cylinder and a rebuild kit. That being said does anyone have lead on a good boat guy on the west side of rochester. I doubt an 06 motor is still covered by a warranty but I'll still call Monday. Any help would be great, thanks

Actually look for mercruisermike on eBay.  He has cylinders from down south - best deal around.  Thats what I got when I had water intrusion in mine and had it crack last winter.  They bolted right up and worked great all fishing season.  Make sure to flush out all of the old fluid when you switch them over.

So I stopped at Bryce marina on the way to work.....i was told I should just replace the whole unit $1200 with labor vs just cylinder because the labor for taking the cylinder off and putting it back together would be the same price pretty much. Any one with experience on the matter chime in.

• 3 weeks later...

So I called a few shops and was surprised by the prices everyone wanted 6+ hours of labor and to pull the motor. I ended up going with Southbay boat n tackle on empire at the back of I Bay. They changed the cylinder and seals and had the boat back in a week. I'm very happy with the work. Parts + 3 hours of labor and I'm back in business . Thanks for the help and suggestions