looking for a penn yan 255-295

I've searched hi and low and have had trouble finding a boat in good shape.I am looking for a gem of a vessel that hasn't been chartered or abused.Low hours,well taken care of 1990+.Electronics are not important. typically i would prefer to set it up too my liking anyways.I am willing to spend the money as i know you get what you pay for.I have looked for a couple months with no luck.I may even consider a finders fee if it was really worth while.

I am on my second Penn Yan and have to say they are solid all around. You won't be disappointed. I bought mine in Michigan and had a marine survey done. With the amount of money you are looking to spend I would not buy one without. It is worth the money.

Remember, this was a charter boat. It has seen a lot of time on the water. If the engine is original, it may be close to the end of it's life span. I would also want a more up to date survey. Alot can go wrong with a boat in two years!

If an up to date survey showed the boat in good condition..do you think thats a reasonable price?I also ask myself if i may be better off grabbing a boat that i am able to trailer on my own.Maybe something a little smaller..It seems like a catch 22.I mean i guess it comes down to giving up deck space and the capability to navigate rough waters without as much of a headache vs. being able to move the boat with my own truck and an obvious fuel savings.I'm caught between a rock and a hard place here...

The survey will give you a estimated value of the boat which you then can negotiate from there. You should have a idea prior to having a surveyor come out the estiamted value. You would want a compression check done also. My boat is 26 ft and i can trailer it. I sacrificed cabin space for more room in the back, it is a i/o but the motor is underneath. There is boats out there that are suitable you just have to keep looking. I started out with a small boat and then worked my way up to the 26 ft. If you are not familiar with driving/docking a boat a smaller boat to start out might be better.

• 1 month later...