15 hp kicker prop suggestions

tj13825

Hello I am looking to get a little more speed out of my kicker engine. When I troll lake Ontario for salmon in 3-5' waves the kicker feels under powered and I don't see much improvement in throttle response from 1/2 to full throttle. The engine runs great, no hesitation, plugs are clean, spark is strong, I just believe the pitch is to low as the previous owner only trolled for walleye on Oneida. 

The boat is a 1999 19' 8" Lund Tyee with a 4.3 I/O and a 15hp mercury 4 stroke kicker (with prop guard) it is loaded with lots of extra weight (downriggers, tackle, planer boards/mast, and 3 heavy guys) Top speed on glass like water is only 4 mph and it will troll right down to about 1 mph (gps). Into the waves steering and speed can be impossible I was thinking of moving up in pitch. I troll a lot of lake trout at 1.5-1.9 but also salmon at 2.8-3.0 so I would like to maintain the higher speeds into the waves/wind and not have to troll only one way with the kicker and the other with the I/O. 

I believe the prop on the kicker now is 9 1/4" X 5 1/2" pitch any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again

Terry

FM I thought about a set of bags but it just seems that I should be able to achieve more than 4mph on perfectly flat water with a 15hp motor. The kicker will obviously use less gas and it is obviously happier running at low speeds than the big motor.

Lakebound, by getting enough water do you mean is it low enough in the water? The boat has a factory cut out in the transom for the kicker and was sold new with the kicker. Now with that said I am not 100% sure if it is a short or long shaft engine and if it couldn't benefit from a longer shaft. I bought the boat last year from the original owner and everything is in like new condition and runs well I just feel like the kicker is not pushing this as fast as it should/could when needed so I was thinking wrong prop based on the PO fishing for walleye on Oneida.

Terry

I had a 15hp merc on my other boat , it would not handle the wind and waves well I got way more speed than you are getting. It was on a Starcraft Mariner 210 lots of gear great gas return for hours fished....... I went to Barrett's Marine in Geneva told then what I wanted they sold me what Fran called a sailboat prop , it would dig great and I could handle the waves and wind better lost some top speed on WOT and gas used for time fished went up a lot...... seems some thing else is off with your set up..... mine had a shallow water setting for the tilt ( just a tab you could flip up if you wanted it deep in the water ) may check that 

DEff something is off, is it a Bigfoot, or just a 15hp motor? I have a Yamaha T25, high thrust on my 29' Aquasport express and get 6 mph WOT, and have no problems trolling into 4-6' waves. If it is not a high thrust, you should be able to change the prop to a high thrust, and see a difference. Good Luck.

Capt Rich

The motor is not the "Bigfoot" it is the standard 15hp motor. The engine has electric start and power tilt/trim so I am running with it all the way down (confirmed).

Can you take a photo from the back of the boat looking straight at the rear? If the kicker prop isn't in clear water (cavitation plate below the hull) it isn't low enough in the water. Mine is only a 8hp and pushes my 23' fiberglass into 3 footers without much of a problem. I originally had my motor mounted directly on my transom next to my main motor and it wasn't low enough in the water and would not push the boat worth a crap.

lund-1850-gran-sport-tyee-mercruiser-i-oThis is not my boat but it is just like my set up. I will check that the cavitation plate is low enough when I get home. I pretty much know I need to change the prop I am looking for suggestions for actual prop dimensions, Diameter and pitch. I have had a couple suggestions to get a sail boat prop for more thrust.

I just remembered one more negative with the sailboat prop besides gas usage going way up. The edges of the prop were wide and blunt , when I got into floating weeds or stringer weeds they would wrap around prop. They were a real pain to get off. I have a hi thrust   9.9 yammy on my fishmaster 210 its work good and no issues so far with the weeds , if a hi-thrust prop would would fit maybe a much better idea than the sailboat prop.

Jimski, thanks for the suggestion. I have the throttle wide open and cannot maintain 2 mph in waves over 3 feet. This is measured both on GPS and my subtroll is even lower.

Something ain't right I have a 15hp on my 22ft cuddy loaded with rigger weights, 3 sets and all the gear and with 3-4 guys and I have no problems trolling into the wind, 3 footers 1/2-3/4throttle I'm going into the waves 2.5 depending on the lower currents. I never really checked WOT! But I did have to come in using the kicker at 10mph. Is it a 4 stroke or 2, is wfo really wide open, check to see if the handle at wot the carb. Is wide open. Maybe someone was monkeying around to get that 2mph or ballpark mph and has a adjustment screw turned one way or another. Just food for thought. Good luck with it!!

The High Thrust props that come on the ProKickers make a huge difference over the standard props on the regular 9.9's and 15hp models.  I think a High Thrust prop would be the way to go.

Thanks PAP, that is what I thought I figured this should be good for at least 8mph. I have checked the throttle linkage and it looks like it is wide open when it is all the way forward. The engine is a 4stroke.

FT I will look at the high thrust props as you suggest.

After confirming that the cavitation plate is below the hull and looking the prop over I believe the prop bushing may be spun. The paint around the bushing looks disturbed. I think that this my be my issue all along. Last year I only put a few hours on the kicker and it was always pretty calm so I either spun it this year or it has been since I bought it and I did not realize it until I needed the extra push in rough water.

Thanks again for the help.

Terry

After confirming that the cavitation plate is below the hull and looking the prop over I believe the prop bushing may be spun. The paint around the bushing looks disturbed. I think that this my be my issue all along. Last year I only put a few hours on the kicker and it was always pretty calm so I either spun it this year or it has been since I bought it and I did not realize it until I needed the extra push in rough water.

Thanks again for the help.

Terry

Well that's the lesser of the 2 evils!! Quick fix, you were going to switch props anyway. Glad to hear you got it narrowed down, I spun a prop on the main once, I couldn't get her up on plane, but it worked good enough to get me home. I tried to turn the prop I couldn't turn it. I took it to a marinia they assured me it was spun. Put new one on and she jumped out of the water.

Yeah I spun the main prop too this year on Memorial day, had the whole family on board and started heading out and it spun when I tried to accelerate. ended up with a nice leisurely ride around I-bay for the afternoon instead.

My 20 hp Honda is able to push my 31' boat, something is def up with your 15, whether it's a prop issue or water issue. Good luck in your findings.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-145590-14661567033614_thumb.jpg