So I'm shopping for a new unit and looking for a 50/200 for two reasons, obviously marking fish but I don't want to have problems when my subtroll is gone and I go to fish hawk. there are many more units standard with a 83-200 so to you guys that run 83 can you track balls mark fish just fine and if you have a fish hawk do you have interference issues?

The 83 khz shouldn't interfere as it is 70 khz on the Fishawk so there is enough separation.  The 83 khz  on my Lowrance Elite 7 marks the downriggers  better  when they are running deep and it marks fish fine too. I usually run it at 83 when deep and 200 with running within 100 or so. The cone angle is larger on the 83 than the 200 which explains why it marks the downriggers better at depth.

83 / 200 or 50 / 200  will not cause  interference with the fish hawk . what does interfere with the fish hawk is when a sonar is on chirp . when i am using my fish hawk i just use the 83 / 200 hz . when i use seth green rigs i use chirp and have the fish hawk off the sub troll can be use with any of above. using 83 hz or with the chirp i can track my seth green weights right to the bottom i only lose the wights when my speed is fast enough to take them out of the cone range .

Edited by fisherdude

That is a great point about the CHIRP.  I didn't happen to think about that but CHIRP basically fills in ranges of frequencies so it would be covering the 70 khz frequency within that lower range.  Another case where actual experience trumps "armchair speculation" :lol: