Boat towing

So what's the deal with towing boats over 8'6" wide? Like how many people do it and never get bothered? What's the fine if you are caught doing it?

I'm looking to buy a good fishing boat and see quite a few 10' beam boats for sale, but I gotta be able to trailer a boat. I'm half hour from Cayuga, and 2 hours from Lake Ontario. So would fish cayuga often, but would also want to make trips to Ontario.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The cops will not bother you. The state police has only one heavy traffic violation and inspection unit in the greater Rochester area. But if you  get in an accident and you do not have the special wide load permit they will throw the book at you. Besides your insurance will not cover you if you cause damage while in violation of traffic rules.

The cops will not bother you. The state police has only one heavy traffic violation and inspection unit in the greater Rochester area. But if you  get in an accident and you do not have the special wide load permit they will throw the book at you. Besides your insurance will not cover you if you cause damage while in violation of traffic rules.

this

Moving a wide beam boat around near lakes isn't going to attract much attention, it's common sights. You're not for hire. No DOT and the only real possibility of the question would be DEC officer or marine sherif attachment at a launch facility. Still not likely but, keep your registration up to date, and your lights, tires, etc in good working order. Avoid getting pulled over for those visual things that create a reason. Drive safe, avoid accidents at all costs.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app