Proper distance behind the balls?

Good morning. Trying to figure out the go to #'s for this time of year. I understand that there are many variants due to conditions and hardware. I try to keep it simple stupid and run lite compared to most. 20lb fluoro on 8'6 rigger rods. Right now I run 35 to 50 back for stagers but am struggling. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I run leads 10 to 25 feet. But that is just me. different things work for different people. Some form of white paddle (or white with green) with a white or green fly right on the bottom.

Sometimes it pays to experiment. In the past I found that shortening up dodger/squid, flasher/fly or spinney/fly right up close to the ball run a few feet off bottom would get them to hit. When I say close I'm talking 4 ft-8ft. What I think may be happening is that when things are presented that close together they appear as a unit rather than say the ball then a short time later the attractor coming by which may make them leery or spook them perhaps. Something to try anyway.

Edited by Sk8man

My "standard" for FF setups is 12-15' If I'm not getting movement then I'll drop one back around 25' and shorten the other one to 6-8'. I'll let the fish tell me what they like. If the fish are tight to the bottom i find the shorter leads work better for me. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by bout time

Do you guys run them that short in deep water or shallow or both?  The last two weeks I have been running them at about 30-40.  I have gotten a couple of fish but not a lot.  What about with J-plugs?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  I am also a small boat just trying to get my kid a few.