Where are the eyes?

Team Perch Lake Effect

Haven't heard much grumbling on the BRB, Chaumont, Galloo, Cape area about eyes. Everyone chasing salmon, I have too just so I can say I caught one. Let's get after the REAL tasty fish!! Was out Sat and had a good one on in Cape area only to lose before it got near boat and had another hit and shake off before I could get to rod. I got too excited and horsed it, plain and simple, bonehead mistake! Anyone else been out chasing them up here in this area? I know SLR is good, I just can't deal with the people as I troll and don't need some idiot on a jet ski running over my boards! I found them in 25 to 30 foot water. Bite was short lived sat, once wind changed it stopped.

I knew when I saw this post asking about eyes in the eastern basin you would be hard pressed to get much of a reply, especially publicly. If you dig, you can see guys are definitely catching them right now, just nobody is going to share where, how, when, on what, etc. The guys catching them right now are mostly seasoned vets and have put in crazy hours putting their programs together, and are not very forthcoming with what is working, and where. Any of the new guys out there catching them have done their homework, and are most likely not going to share very readily either. I got into walleye chasing a few years ago, and found out there was only one way to gather info on catching walleye in the eastern basin. That was to just put in a ton of time, keep your eyes and ears open and keep chasing 'em. The eastern basin is so hard to fish for eyes that guys are not going to give up their findings too easily. Good luck, and I hope you find some of that LO gold.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You are so correct! I just am looking to see if anyone is getting any consistent numbers is all. Hopefully fall will be better than spring. I know that it's a big secret that eyes are in the lake! Lol I've put in some time for my first year with a trolling boat. Used to use my 16 foot flat bottom the last couple years, but wind and waves are the enemy of that! plus can't get to some of the spots I like with that!

I fish the north shore from Kingston mostly so may not be the same but our fish are on classic late summer patterns and on the shoals or adjacent to them.

Typically 1.8-2.2mph SOG

Reef runner 800's 80-130 back

Flicker minnows 100-200 back

Go to the shoals or points that are close to deep water. I fish mainly 30-50 fow and keep baits down 15-28 in these areas.

Hope it helps

Edited by BigMac

Thanks BigMac and guffins fisherman! Usually what I am doing on this side of lake too. Just curious if any consistency yet. Have heard some people go out and limit out, then next (insert # here) times nothing, I know it's called fishing, not catching. Waiting for a little more consistency instead of the old "hit and miss"! My time is kind of limited due to that work thing, just want to maximize my chances. Hoping to get out again the following weekend and hunt the same area I had worked last weekend.  I throw some Husky jerks in the mix also. Marked fish around Carlton, but boat traffic still a little much. Will wait till later to hit that some more. I have been running 1.6 GPS, after this week will have a fish hawk on board and get a better idea when fishing Cape area and the current. Appreciate the help!

Years ago when they were stocking salmon 6 million a year.There were always a fleet of boats every day weather permiting,We all communicated on channel 68 and shared all our skills.It was one big family.The more we shared the happier we all were as it goes.

Now today the fleet is no more.The men have grew old and the young lack the patience the big waters calls for.

Maybe we could bring the fleet back by sharing more info even though we must accept fewer fish It was a happier time back then

For those who shared here thanks much as I plan on making a eye trip after the kings have left the lake

John i agree. When i started out going for the walleyes up there 30 something years ago, it was a bunch of mostly old timers sharing info and fishing together through the night. We all shared info and that was the fun of it. Unfortunately with electronic media these days and a large population of younger fishernman that lack the ethics everyone had back then, its a dangerous proposition to let a lot of these spots go public knowledge. My kids will have all my skills and secrets passed to them but im a bit leery of the mindset of a lot of people with boats and fishing gear in this day and age. That said, i have privately helped some people in the right direction if my gut tells me they are true sportsman.

I'm not looking for the answers on a silver platter, get that notion out of everyone's head right now, I've put in my time in the little boat and with others on bigger boats while being at the mercy of when we can go. I've just grown to a bigger boat and am able to stay out longer and in rougher conditions plus I am the one now making the call on when to go and how long to stay. Also able to get out in the lake farther without worrying about how I'm getting back which is a large weight lifted! Just now with this job I have to use my time off a little differently. I'm just putting out feelers as to wether or not the bite is picking up. I agree that if you put in the time you are cautious as to who you tell where they are biting and on what, I'm the same way. Biggest curiosity to me is numbers. Are they moving back shallower than they have, which this time of year they should. I really don't care about trophy sizes, I like eaters. Anything 8 or bigger goes back. 5&6 pounders are what I like! Nothing like getting a bag out of freezer I'm winter and frying up!

Bite is definitely been picking up.  I have been fishing mouth of the lake/SLR and It has been good action.

Been finding them 30-40ft running deep lures - reef runners, tail dancers with long leads (180ft+).  Like usual after a cold front they have just been nipping at the cranks.  Catching them on the back hook every time with some lost fish. Have found that trolling a bit quicker than usual has been helpful 2.2-28MPH on the GPS. 

Seems to me that best bite this year has been off the shoals a ways but occasionally have been getting them up on top in 5-10ft of water.

I see guys fishing over deep water 60-80 feet of water with planer boards and I know they are targeting walleyes. When I go out over deep water I mark fish down 40-60 but have not been able to get anything to fire. Do any of you guys weight your stick baits to target eyes at this depth or do you still focus on the top 30ft of the water column. I run deep diver reef runners and husky jerks and do good in the shallower water (30-50 feet) but when that dries up and I head for deeper water the trail goes cold...

I see guys fishing over deep water 60-80 feet of water with planer boards and I know they are targeting walleyes. When I go out over deep water I mark fish down 40-60 but have not been able to get anything to fire. Do any of you guys weight your stick baits to target eyes at this depth or do you still focus on the top 30ft of the water column. I run deep diver reef runners and husky jerks and do good in the shallower water (30-50 feet) but when that dries up and I head for deeper water the trail goes cold...

Weight on the lines for sure to target that depth. Experiment with how much and leads to the bait to get the depth you want.

Thank you Guffins Fisherman - I appreciate your feedback. I really enjoy chasing Lake O eyes!!! To me they are the most rewarding fish.

Run a Bomber long A 70ft then a 2oz snap weight and another 70ft off your boards you will be in the ball park. Blue silver/black silver shhhhh LOL

It's on here this moon phase for sure! We have a pretty good bunch of guys out of our marina here on Otisco that share quite a lot really, but it's face to face. Meeting guys from here and fishing together is a great way to shorten your learning curve. Also go search this forum for old posts...there is a lot in them if you read it all...when I joined I read the ENTIRE walleye section...every post...I learned a ton!

Yep been sifting thru them when I get a chance! Hopefully Monday I can make it out, took a day! Been playing with lead core to get some more depth, last time out was the first with it. Definitely gets a bait down. 60 feet core with a 20 foot mono leader was adding another 15 foot of depth at 150 back. Yes this moon phase will help! Thanks all so far!

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice catch!!! Congrats. September is great eye fishing. Nice boat too:)

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks. Great morning. We had a couple nice bass come aboard too. One was 6 lbs. Both went back to fight another day.