south end cayuga 4/13

south end cayuga 4/13

Did a shakedown of my battered but trusty OLD starcraft  holiday 18 yesterday in the afternoon.. treman ramps were high and full of junk, but usable.. i was the ONLY rig there which surprised me..
 Not 30 seconds into  trolling[flatline only] I had a  hard hit on a chartreuse hair  bucktail I was trolling/jigging.. I troll the jig but keep a steady jigging motion going as well.. Works pretty well actually if you don't mind the exercise.

We landed a    nicely shouldered 19 incher.. Not 2 minutes later my son had a good fish on a  really small  silver black rapala, but it got off.... We thought it was going to be a great afternoon but it wasn't to be... Not another hit for probably 2 hours trolling , and then I got a good hit on the jig and a pretty good battle as we  were casting in the mud at the very south end where we caught the first salmon.. I was shocked to see a very sizable bullhead hooked directly in the tail.. They fight pretty well when tail hooked!... I also   lost another very  nice size fish on the jig shortly after.. It was slower heavier fight and may have been a carp, or pike, or something other than a salmonid.. We could not draw any hits in the clearer water, The one salmon we caught, the 2 or 3 other fish we lost while trolling  and casting and the stupid bullhead were all in the shallower/ more colored water.. Saw a guy in a  tricked out kayak trolling out there as well, not sure if he had anything.. So for certain there are some fish active in the south end, but it was no great shakes.. Got a flat on the way to the lake, had no time to even put the FF on the boat, just starting to get my boats/gear/junk in order..  Its funny -last year in May, the same son and I fished Cayuga for salmon  off shore with live sawbellies, and our tally was exactly the same as yesterday... 1 salmon and one bullhead..
I'll bet YOU guys don't catch bullheads when you're salmon fishing!  lol... bob

Believe it or not I caught one out in nearly the middle of Seneca lake on a flutter spoon via the Seth Green and down about 80 ft. They are a really peculiar fish:lol: True story.

Edited by Sk8man

2 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

lost of junk on top of the water?

Its not horrible, but you do need to watch, especially the closer you get to the creeks/inlet... We dodged a few  nasty half submerged logs, and  other pieces of wood... Should be ok soon.. Didn't see anything out there that would sink you, but there is still stuff floating that will take your prop/skeg out  and leave you rowing back.. bob

36 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Believe it or not I caught one out in nearly the middle of Seneca lake on a flutter spoon via the Seth Gree and down about 80 ft. They are a really peculiar fish:lol: True story.

West side with great nephews in the boat running brown/landlock program in August would have been 60' to 80' down hit a small spoon.......