Cayuga south end

Oh well here is that.. and I caught a tom of salmon

Updated report... started at TrEman 8am... mom and gf.... kinda a splash down with new ff and new riggers.... 

Did 13 Salmon and trout... boards and riggers down 5 ft... fish were puking up 5 inch alweifs like crazy

6 tp 7 lb was the big one and we had about 8 in the keeper range and 2 keeper size browns

The big Salmon ripped the board release and peeled drag instantly... was awsome 

Wish it was a day fishing with a buddy and could throw the whole arsenal at them and fish efficiently. Would have been one of those 40 fish days

Yes, it was a great day on the south end today. But has anyone ever heard of a grand slam of bait? We caught a brown this morning that had a "sun fish", gobies, saw bellies and smelt in it's stomach. Yes I said "smelt". This is the second fish this spring that has smelt in it stomach. Has anybody else heard of any smelt on Cayuga. My understanding was this baitfish was pretty much gone. Could it be making a comeback?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

I don't think humans have much to do with the survival of the smelt... I think their days of being plentiful are long gone. Simply out competed 

I don't think humans have much to do with the survival of the smelt... I think their days of being plentiful are long gone. Simply out competed 

You are correct of course. However, as we know, there are always cycles   in these  large lakes.. Smelt were being out competed for years by  sawbellies, and then piled on by zebras and now  those damn gobies.. However, anything might have a few down years due to any number of natural factors, and the Smelt might be able to rebound some.. Personally, I would rather see fewer sawbellies and more smelt in the lakes.. I have my doubts of course, but you never know... bob