What size kicker?

What size kicker?

Looking at a 6hp 2-stroke kicker (1970s) or a 4hp 4-stroke Johnson (early-mid 90s) for a kicker. The 4 stroke has an internal tank, is it possible to hook it up to my main tank? I guess more importantly will a 4hp be enough for my boat? I have a 175 Alumacraft, tournament pro (See attached picture) I don't fish big water often and would only be interested in getting it for trolling (I mainly fish Oneida Lake). My 80lb terrova pushes my boat to 3mph maxed out for reference.

971407.jpg

4-stroke all the way,no smoke and fumes to deal with.4 hp is enough,i have a 5 hp on a 16ft center console and now just put it on a 18 ft glass cabin boat and it pushes that just fine.only down size is vibration,single cylinders vibrate pretty bad,but i got use to it after  awhile.also,look into getting a controll king to operate the throttle,way better then a control box and cables.they only work on 4-strokes.

Either will probably work, I would look for something a litle bigger than 4hp maybe something around 8hp in 4 stroke no less than 6hp in 2 stroke. Whatever you get make sure it is a twin cylinder less vibration and smoother running.

Well I picked up the 4hp 4-stroke, couldn't pass up the deal. I trolled with my 150 2-stroke for a long time so the vibration cant be any worse than that I would guess. I went the cheap route and ordered a panther aux steering kit, if it doesn't work I will have to look into an EZ steer setup. Anything else I need to know/do before I take it out for the first time?

Well I picked up the 4hp 4-stroke, couldn't pass up the deal. I trolled with my 150 2-stroke for a long time so the vibration cant be any worse than that I would guess. I went the cheap route and ordered a panther aux steering kit, if it doesn't work I will have to look into an EZ steer setup. Anything else I need to know/do before I take it out for the first time?

If your clamping it to the transom go to tractor supply or what every you have close by and get a piece of 1/8-1/4" thick rubber mat and lay it over the transom and clamp the motor to it. It will take almost all of the vibration out of the motor and you won't feel it in the boat. I was about to sell my 5hp because it made the boat rattle until I was given the same advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try steering it with your trolling motor. Bring your boat almost up to speed and then turn on the trolling motor for the last .2 mph or so. Works well on my 18 footer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Steering with a kicker engine alone will be difficult when turning into the wind. The main engine lower housing is an auxiliary steering rudder and gives you better control . The Panther Z bar system is all right and does not suffer the EZ Steering disabled problem such as when working over the stern to reconnect it. Twice I lost the EZ Steer bar and ended spending big bucks to replace it. A good trick is to slide some foam tubing over the tube to allow it to float after you drop it in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 2 weeks later...
Steering with a kicker engine alone will be difficult when turning into the wind. The main engine lower housing is an auxiliary steering rudder and gives you better control . The Panther Z bar system is all right and does not suffer the EZ Steering disabled problem such as when working over the stern to reconnect it. Twice I lost the EZ Steer bar and ended spending big bucks to replace it. A good trick is to slide some foam tubing over the tube to allow it to float after you drop it in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Good tip. I just put foam on my new net since I lost mine last time I was out. Now I will be adding foam to my kicker rod also. And yes, without the big motor in the water, I could not control my boat with just the kicker.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app