Need info on best practices for painting my aluminum boat

I have a 16 ft Sea Nymph that I have gutted to the stringers.

I am wanting to paint it but I want some feed back first. I am thinking about sanding the old paint to roughen up the surface, then go over it with Self Etching Primer, them I'm planning on using Rustoleum Professional semi gloss white.

Who out there has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

image2.JPGIMG_2747.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For sure use the self etching primer on the aluminum. I did the same project for a 16' blue fin. I also painted the inside with truck bed liner. Helped with the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

For sure use the self etching primer on the aluminum. I did the same project for a 16' blue fin. I also painted the inside with truck bed liner. Helped with the sound.

Hi, and thanks for the reply. I am going to paint the inside the same as the outside because the inside is going to be carpeted. The pics below start with how it looked with all the old stuff down to where it is now. IMG_2586.JPGIMG_2746.JPGIMG_3005.JPGIMG_3080.JPG

I have begun to seal all my wood and I'm going to put the bottom floor down, sand prime and paint the inside then remove the engine and flip the boat to paint it.

Also are the any recommendations on flipping the boat?

I flipped mine with my buddy (14') and rested it on wood rounds I hadn't split yet for winter. Also, did so with the floor out so it weighed less. Tried to post a pic, but my phone won't let me. Will try on the computer later.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_6050.thumb.JPG.9e42d1fad9aa3e7f5b633adb87c9c199.JPGIMG_6153.thumb.JPG.e8e287d4be0e79c15b727eb2d8752def.JPG

You can see the rounds sticking out. I used ones tall enough that the wheel would hit the ground.

Also, I used the rustoleum tractor paint.

- GBL

Puffer II: 1802 Trophy

Green Boat: 1966 Starcraft Mariner-V 14

IMG_6050.thumb.JPG.9e42d1fad9aa3e7f5b633adb87c9c199.JPGIMG_6153.thumb.JPG.e8e287d4be0e79c15b727eb2d8752def.JPG
You can see the rounds sticking out. I used ones tall enough that the wheel would hit the ground.
Also, I used the rustoleum tractor paint.

- GBL

Puffer II: 1802 Trophy
Green Boat: 1966 Starcraft Mariner-V 14

Looks great, thanks again for the picturesIMG_3259.JPG
This is where I'm at so far.
IMG_3290.JPG
This is the primer I'm going to use.

• 2 months later...

Get AwlGrip (US Paint) and appropriate prep. for aluminum. Buy Flexo sprayer (no need for compressed air). Leave bottom unpainted or spray Awlgrip Anti-fouling paint if mooring is envisioned.

ps: Don't forget to replace any loose rivets and cracked ribs.

Cheers, DocWet

• 1 month later...

Prime clean aluminum with an etching primer. There is a below water primer for moored boats then added. A finish cost is your choice. Loose rivets can be replaced with a larger sized river after resizing the hole with an appropriate drill. Factories freeze the new rivers before installation . Pound the river into the hull with a die that tightens the hull material to the river, then peen the end of the rivet over to finish it.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

i remember using muriatic acid when I did a 14 footer years ago to etch the aluminum. be well ventilated if you do so though, lots of fumes. im not sure if it is the best practice after googling, and it was so long ago I cant remember where the idea came from

Edited by Born to Fish
?